The Station Fire Thread

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

OK, so the order is now up on the FS site. It's official. :(
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/ ... -09-07.pdf

I notice that it's signed by Martin Dumpis and that it says "Acting Forest Supervisor" below his signature. Sounds like Ms. Norion may truly have gotten overwhelmed.

Map of the area closed
I can't tell from the crummy map if the SBNF portion is open or not.

The written description doen't really clear it up.
scott johnson

Post by scott johnson »

LA Times is reporting that Stony Ridge Observatory on Mt. Mooney and Camp Colby in Upper Big T. have survive the fire. New brusher just broke out in Rolling Hills/Palos Verde near the Torrance Border.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

scott johnson wrote:LA Times is reporting that Stony Ridge Observatory on Mt. Mooney and Camp Colby in Upper Big T. have survive the fire. New brusher just broke out in Rolling Hills/Palos Verde near the Torrance Border.
Any word on Loomis Ranch area?

I did some hiking down there with the Son of the owner a year or two back looking for wreckage from the F86? Midair collision in 1959?

The loomis cabin and all that is a chunk of history to be sure
scott johnson

Post by scott johnson »

It is official, via the 5:00 PM Presser, that the "Beast" is a creation of an Arsonist.

Matt regarding Loomis Ranch, I was in youch with someone who had created a historical webpage on the site. Will attempt to get updated info.

Scott
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

There seems to be some further gains in the Twin Peaks, Waterman Mtn area, though there "appears" to be a spot fire at Three Points :(

The fire is holding outside of Santa Anita Cyn still and it seems to be confined to the West Fork on the SE Claw

Seems to be little activity on Pacifico Mtn area, Mt Gleason, Big-T or the Urban Interface

The other active area is Pacomia Cyn / Dillion Divide with The Beast making a run on Mendenhall Peak

As usual the KML is here
http://mattmaxon.homeip.net/data/Fire%2 ... 200903.kml
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

scott johnson wrote:Matt regarding Loomis Ranch, I was in youch with someone who had created a historical webpage on the site. Will attempt to get updated info.
Scott
Yeah unfortunately he's not one of the current owners of the property

I was hoping someone you know might have had a chance look down in there

The data I've seen shown it was spared but... who knows
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

mattmaxon wrote:There seems to be some further gains in the Twin Peaks, Waterman Mtn area
YEAH! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Save Waterman, save Buckhorn!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Layne Cantrell wrote:
mattmaxon wrote:There seems to be some further gains in the Twin Peaks, Waterman Mtn area
Does "gains" mean the fire made some gains or the fire fighters?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Community Meeting
Station Fire Unified Command will be hosting a community meeting in the town of Pasadena tonight for the purpose of updating the public on the current fire situation and expected actions.

First Church of the Nazarene
3700 E. Sierra Madre Blvd.
Pasadena, California 91107
7:00 PM
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

http://blogs.pe.com/news/digest/#a520525

JUST IN: LA-area wildfire caused by arson, Forest Service says
By PE News on September 3, 2009 6:03 PM | Comments (0)
The U.S. Forest Service says arson is the cause of the wildfire north of Los Angeles that killed two firefighters.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies have launched a homicide investigation into the fire that has destroyed more than five dozen homes and burned 226 square miles. Two firefighters died Sunday when their truck careened off a steep mountain road.

—The Associated Press
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Community Meeting
Station Fire Unified Command will be hosting a community meeting in the town of Pasadena tonight for the purpose of updating the public on the current fire situation and expected actions.

First Church of the Nazarene
3700 E. Sierra Madre Blvd.
Pasadena, California 91107
7:00 PM
I have to work until 8:00 in Santa Clarita - is anyone going? Can anyone whine pitifully on behalf of Waternman/Buckhorn for me? Not that it will do any good, but it'll sure make me FEEL better.
scott johnson

Post by scott johnson »

Matt,

I just got off the phone with Steve Thomas in the Bay Area.

He was the one who help set up your visit with a "Mr. Buser".

Mr. Buser told him that one of his fellow Loomis Ranch neighbors had stated to him that the Ranch was still standing as of last night.

Scott
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Layne Cantrell wrote:
Does "gains" mean the fire made some gains or the fire fighters?
I assumed he meant gains by firefighters since the next part of the sentence was about a gain made by the fire.

Hopefully I didn't just cheer a gain by the fire. Bad Karma.
scott johnson

Post by scott johnson »

Matt,

was talking to someone yesterday about Three Points being a natural spot that would act as a focal point for flames heading uphill. With that in mind, dozer crews were cutting line near there yesterday. Our fire road on the west end of the Valcrest property heads down canyon just east of the parking area.

BTW, Steve passes along his regards :D

Scott
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

mattmaxon wrote:There seems to be some further gains in the Twin Peaks, Waterman Mtn area,
So wait, am I retarded or did you mean the firefighters made gains?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Does "gains" mean the fire made some gains or the fire fighters?
Yeah Aircraft have been dropping water/phos-check over there all day

With cooler weather tomorrow and each day into the future things are looking promising
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

SOB better hope the police get to him before I do.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

DamOTclese wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Closure smosure! We don't need no stinkin' closure!
I didn't see any indication that the Monroe Truck Trail was closed though I guess that's considered "East." Didn't they say the entire ANF was closed until Station is extinguished?
Everything east of Hwy 14 is closed in the ANF.

What I was saying is that there are "fingers" poking into the National Forest Lands that belong to cities like LA, Pasadena, Monrovia, etc. Those might be open for hiking sooner than the ANF.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Don't like to be Negative Nelly here - but what are the chances of catching this person?,,,,,,,,,,, wait scratch that, this 'Fvck-face-selfish-piece-of-hell-trash-that-makes-me-wanna-agree-with-the-death-penalty' bastard that started this fire?

If you like fires, set yourself on one...

Unbelievable that someone would do this and they around us, hopefully for not too long - pure devil business, they have no love in their heart or soul.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

how do they know it was arson?
Bill

Post by Bill »

DamOTclese wrote:
edenooch wrote:now its all being burned for them :roll:
Instead of a controlled 1,700 acre burn, it's a quarter of a million marginally managed burn that's mostly out of control.

I wonder if the real reason was lack of money. Maybe someone is trying to protect funding decisions and redirecting of money or priorities elsewhere.

Funny how rumors start. Tomorrow it might be shown on FOX "News" that President Obama started it while trying to burn his real birth certificate.
Actually, I thought you were the conspiracy theory guy. :lol:
In all seriousness, management of initial resources needs to be examined, and there may well have been an effort to save money, as units were released early on when the fire was relatively small and chances to contain it were better. :? Money is one thing, human life is another! :?
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I honestly think that a lot of resources went to the Morris fire and when this broke out they started too slow and then had an oww shiiittt moment when they realized the error. If your into conspiracies and rumors, you can think USFS minimized resources to cover their error in starting the fire.
scott johnson

Post by scott johnson »

Things are getting dicey at Three Points.

Evening update from Christian Camp Website.

As of Thursday, September 3, at 6:00 p.m. Angeles Crest Christian Camp is safe. However, the fire is near the camp and firefighters are trying to hold it back!

This afternoon and evening will be the critical time for the camp. The fire is near camp and the 500 or so firefighters are doing there best to hold back the fire from crossing highway 2. It has jumped the road twice and but the fire crews have put our the hot spots. If the fire jumps the road then the camp will be in danger.

Thanks so much for the courageous effort by Pat Titus, Batallion Chief for L.A. County Fire Department and his staff and all the firefighters! They are working overtime to insure the safety of the camp and other structures such as Newcomb's Restaurant.

The topography from Newcombs to Three Points is one that favors a fire that wants to move uphill with three points being ground zero.

Scott Johnson
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Even the Garcia trailhead on Sierra Madre Blvd at fire station 97 in Glendora is taped off. I don't think that a hiker gets into USFS property until he or she is on the ridge.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The section of the San Gabriel range that is in the San Bernardino NF IS LEGAL to hike.

Exhibit B from the ANF Order:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

This might be easier: ANF Closure Map
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Mike P wrote:Even the Garcia trailhead on Sierra Madre Blvd at fire station 97 in Glendora is taped off. I don't think that a hiker gets into USFS property until he or she is on the ridge.
I noticed that was taped off a while ago. WTF?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Overnight has seen further improvements!! :D

The only Actively Burning area was the South East Claw of The Beast

The spot fire at Three Points appears to be out

The Claw has further divided to North and south segments

The North segment seems to burning inside well back from the advancing line, with no spotting ahead of it

The South segment has 3 active areas one making a run on Chileno Cyn, the middle on the West Fork in Lobo Cyn, the furthest west one along and below red-Box Rincon Rd

Bare Mtn spot fires have aged to 24 hrs with no new activity

Mendenhall Peak has aged to 12 hrs with no new activity

you know the deal
http://mattmaxon.homeip.net/data/Fire%2 ... 200904.kml

simonov

Post by simonov »

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-- Unknown
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

DamOTclese wrote:Recall that the Curve Fire was allegedly started by Christians engaged in an animal safrifice rite with Pablo Myobee (sp?) variants, candles left behind as the people fled identified it as accidental.
What? Animal sacrifice isn't part of Christianity. Are you sure it wasn't Santaria (sp?) or something?