Pleasant View Ridge and Mt. Williamson

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Well I thought I posted this before, but I guess it didn't go through :?

Anywho, I am planning on heading up there this weekend. Ideally, would like to do a loop hike. I read through the previous thread when Hiking Jim went up around there, but I think he went up around Burkhart Trail and Will Thrall, but not along the ridge between Burkhardt Saddle and Williamson.

Does anyone know what the condition of this ridge is? I'm assuming there is a use trail, is it reasonable to follow? I have to have some info so some of these hikers don't complain if there is some brush or uneven terrain.

As for trying to do a loop, ideally I would like to start somewhere along ACH (Islip Saddle, Buckhorn, etc...) and head up toward Williamson, then head westwardly along PVR, hit Pallett, down to Burkardt Saddle, up Will Thrall, back to saddle, then south on Burkhardt trail.

At this point I'd like to complete the loop, but I know that there is a part of the PCT that is closed and I'm guessing that's the part that's blocking this from being a loop. Is the only other option walking along the ACH?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The PCT closure pretty much dictates taking the PCT detour along ACH. (Unless you claim ignorance and claim to not be able to read a map or navigate on your own :D)

Consider this alternative: Start at Buckhorn Camp Ground, go to Burkhardt Saddle, go to Will Thrall (and even the official HPS Pleasant View Ridge high point further west), return to saddle, go up to Pallett, then head south to Goodykoontz, then go west and drop down to the Burkhardt trail, return to car. Sort of a lollipop route. You don't get Williamson though.

As far as brush and use trail conditions, Travis' old report on Goodykoontz might give you some insight. He made a loop of it by cutting through the northeast corner of the closure area to get back to ACH.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Joseph:

I think you're really going to like this hike. It's one of my favorites, a beautiful high-country ramble. None of it as tough as say, Iron Mtn, but it's a lot of miles.

As usual, I'll refer to an ACME topo map (or "Acme fu" as Rumpled so eloquently put it :lol:).

I would start at the west Mt. Williamson trailhead ("A"), head up the PCT to the shoulder of Williamson ("B"), hit the heavily travelled use trail heading up the ridge past the named summit of Williamson and continuing on to the true summit of Willamson ("C") then to the unnamed peak at "D." Note: There is good use trail for sure all the way to "D" which is as far as I went last June on a training hike, but I'm sure that the use trail goes all the way to Burkhart Saddle because the last time I did the whole loop there was a good use trail and because I could see a use trail descending from Pallett Mtn the last time I was at Burkhart Saddle. From "D," continue to "E," then drop WSW to the saddle followed by a climb up to Pallett Mtn ("F") and then a descent to Burkhart Saddle ("G"). From the saddle, follow the very clear use trail to Will Thrall Peak ("H"). It's not particularly difficult, and I think it's worthwhile to continue along the ridge to unnamed summit "I" which is actually higher than Will Thrall Peak. From "I," retrace your steps to Burkhart Saddle "G." Note: There is a trail shown on the topo map. Traces of a trail do exist and are usable as a way to bypass Will Thrall Pk on the way back. I saw a Sierra Club group using the trail. I myself didn't use the trail so am not sure of the entire route back to the saddle. From Burkhart Saddle "G," descend to the east PCT/Burkhart Trail junction at Little Rock Creek ("J").

Now for the tricky part. The section of trail (the PCT) from the east PCT/Burkhart Trail junction ("J") to Eagles Roost "M" is closed to protect some frogs. Apparently one can be fined if one violates the closure. The route therefore progresses from "J" to the west PCT/Burkhart Trail junction "K" and then to Angeles Crest Hwy at point "L" via Buckhorn CG. From "L" one walks the ACH to point Eagle's Roost ("M") and from there back to your cars at point "A," either via the PCT as it traverses Kratka Ridge or by continuing on the ACH. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to avoid walking the ACH on the section from "L" to "M."

Comments: It's a lot of miles just to do the basic loop from the west Mt. Williamson trailhead over PVR to Burkhart Saddle down to Little Rock Creek and then back to the west Mt. Williamson trailhead. It's even more miles to add the side trip to Will Thrall Pk and the unnamed but major peak at point "I." Add to that yet even more miles because one has to go miles out of one's way to avoid the closed section of the PCT. I'm not sure how many miles this adds up to, but it's got to be approaching 20. Just something to factor into your start time, particularly this time of year when the days are short.

It's a great hike. I look forward to your TR and photos.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I hiked from Williamson twice in the last 12 months to "Boxcar Ridge" and encountered no problems, not that I'd expect to...

As to an alternate route....

Hike up to Buckhorn & ACH, then the Waterman Mtn Trail (mile marker 58.15) to Kratka Ridge.

Kratka Ridge is similar to Pleasant View Ridge (who knew!) The only slightly sketchy spot is the ridge past Cedar Spring to the saddle.

I'd drop down to Cedar Spring and take the highway to the saddle and back on the ridge

Or

take the rattlesnake trail segment of the PCT to Eagles Roost and feign ignorance if caught. It isn't likely IMO you get any more than a warning to stay out...the first time

Unless you run into "Barney Fife"
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

thanks for the tips guys. as I expected, no prob with the ridge, but prob with doing a full loop.

i will either choose to claim ignorance, or more likely, set up a car shuttle leaving some cars at buckhorn and some at the starting spot. would you then still suggest starting at A rather than Islip Saddle? I'm thinking so.

with the shuttle, it would be no prob also checking out "I" on the map and keeping reasonable miles. Interesting that on that topo it is also called "Pallett" !

Jim, I appreciate the maps and detailed explanation - I think you should document all these explanations somewhere along with the maps, they are a great asset to hiking in this area!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:...set up a car shuttle leaving some cars at buckhorn and some at the starting spot. would you then still suggest starting at A rather than Islip Saddle? I'm thinking so.
I don't suppose it matters much whether or not you start at "A" or Islip Saddle if you're setting up a car shuttle, although you'd save a bit of time on the drive if you start at "A." There are pit toilets at Islip if that's a consideration.
JMunaretto wrote:with the shuttle, it would be no prob also checking out "I" on the map and keeping reasonable miles. Interesting that on that topo it is also called "Pallett" !
Yeah, isn't that "Pallet" thing crazy? Actually though, the peak isn't called "Pallett;" the survey marker is. If you look around that topo, you'll see a lot of survey markers with odd names like this one on Bare Mountain named "top." Note the difference in typface. Even though the typeface is different, I think it was a poor choice to name the marker after a nearby peak.
JMunaretto wrote:Jim, I appreciate the maps and detailed explanation - I think you should document all these explanations somewhere along with the maps, they are a great asset to hiking in this area!
Thanks. :) I guess this board is the repository, along with a lot of great contributions of others. I just hope ACME maps stays around for a while and doesn't go away like topozone which got gobbled up by Trails.com. :(
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

So I'm thinking we'll just do an out-and-back starting from west trailhead of Williamson to Will Thrall (and beyond) and back. Is there any clear indication where this trailhead starts? Milemarker 52.6?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:So I'm thinking we'll just do an out-and-back starting from west trailhead of Williamson to Will Thrall (and beyond) and back. Is there any clear indication where this trailhead starts? Milemarker 52.6?
I would do the loop. You are already gonna be way out there anyway. Why go back the same way.
But that's just me. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JMunaretto wrote:So I'm thinking we'll just do an out-and-back starting from west trailhead of Williamson to Will Thrall (and beyond) and back. Is there any clear indication where this trailhead starts? Milemarker 52.6?
I think it's at the turnout with all of the logs laying around in it. It's obvious where the trail head is anyway.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

There is a large flat area on the north side of the road

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:
I think it's at the turnout with all of the logs laying around in it. It's obvious where the trail head is anyway.
If my memory serves me well, the W trailhead is iindeed at a large turnout before the tunnels, and as HikeUp says, there are a lot of logs in the turnout area. I believe the trailhead has a PCT sign at it.

Matt's map/sat photo pretty much lays it all out.

Good luck!
sleighty

Post by sleighty »

Hey guys

Planning a quick day out this weekend and was wondering if there was still a good deal of snow on williamson. Normally I would love to hear a resounding yes, but bringing the gf and another friend who don't have much experience with snow stuff...so yes...hikeable sanz pons and axe? (I've actually never even been up williamson, so pardon my ignorance if it's not an axe worthy trip anyways).

Any info would be much appreciated.
Also, hwy 2 open all the way?

Thanks guys

Sleighty
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

sleighty wrote:Hey guys

Planning a quick day out this weekend and was wondering if there was still a good deal of snow on williamson. Normally I would love to hear a resounding yes, but bringing the gf and another friend who don't have much experience with snow stuff...so yes...hikeable sanz pons and axe? (I've actually never even been up williamson, so pardon my ignorance if it's not an axe worthy trip anyways).

Thanks guys

Sleighty
I haven't been up lately, so I don't know what the snow conditions are -- BUT I wouldn't mess with Williamson if it's icy. There are some steep drops. I'd want crampons and an ice axe.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

sleighty wrote:Hey guys

Thanks guys

Sleighty
Highway 2 is open all the way to Islip Saddle.... There is minimal snow on the south facing slopes but Im pretty sure that the north facing slopes still have a lot of snow, actually, more like ice.......
socalhikes hiker

Post by socalhikes hiker »

Anyone know the ridge/trail conditions from Islip Saddle to Will Thrall? Planning on the following route: Williamson, Pallet, Will Thrall. Saw some pics from Summitpost showing Williamson with snow still atop.

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... _id=152023

Any first hand accounts if this is doable?

http://hiking.meetup.com/196/calendar/10141382/
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

It's always doable. :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

whatever you do, just don't leave any hikers alone, or get in a fight with a ranger
taktical

Post by taktical »

Does anyone know how the trail conditions are to Mt. Williamson from Islip Saddle? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's a TR from late November for a short hike down the South Fork Trail which starts at Islip Saddle (right next to the Mt. Williamson Trail).

There was snow in the shaded areas - some times only a few inches deep but some places it was over a foot deep. Not sure if there is more or less snow now or if it's all ice or not. Wasn't any ice then, but I'd be bringing the axe/poles and microspikes just in case - they don't weigh much.
taktical

Post by taktical »

Thanks for pointing me to that TR. I'm definitely planning on bringing microspikes, etc. just in case. Much thanks!