South Fork Trail 11/27/10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I teamed up with HikeUp for this one. The purpose was to check on a camera in the area, which disappointingly only had a couple videos of deer. But the day was beautiful, and we got to break trail on about 4 inches of powdery snow. Of course, the sun came out within an hour or so, and we got to enjoy hiking in the snow while still being warm - a California specialty!

Huge bear tracks near the camera (but not near enough!)

And general San Gabriel awesomeness:

mmmm Triplets....

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

No way! My daughter and I were on this trail yesterday from 0700 - 1400. Up from S.F. campground to Islip Saddle and back. We saw bear tracks in snow and were quite pleased that these were post general hunting season.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Elwood wrote: No way! My daughter and I were on this trail yesterday from 0700 - 1400. Up from S.F. campground to Islip Saddle and back. We saw bear tracks in snow and were quite pleased that these were post general hunting season.
I think we said Hi to you!! We were coming back up, almost to the parking lot, around 10:30 I think...I remember thinking "hey, that guy looks like Elwood.." Where did you see tracks?
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Tracks were on the lower third of the trail in shallow snow. Wasn't paying close attention but I think near gullies below 6621', or 6960' bumps. I am amused by the fact that we coincidentally noted your and Hike Up's boot tracks were discontinued.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dang it, I also thought that was you Elwood. I would of asked if I wasn't enjoying a bout of asthma - wasn't in a talking mood. Thanks btw for yielding! Next time for sure.

I'll add a couple of pics.

Bear print with claws showing...

Snow was a beautiful powder (note critter tracks on left)...

More "San Gabriel awesomeness"...

A scenic trail indeed.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Great pics. Please forgive the hijack, but I know the guy who directed the movie in your avatar, The Canyon. Did you have something to do with the film?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

titanhangman wrote: Great pics. Please forgive the hijack, but I know the guy who directed the movie in your avatar, The Canyon. Did you have something to do with the film?
No, I just thought the movie was fun. Are you in the business too? I'm a sound editor. (mostly TV)
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Ah, got it. Nope, not in the business, but I did work for the guy who directed The Canyon. He invited me to the premiere, which I wasn't able to make. It's such an obscure movie I was kind of shocked to see it in your avatar, so I assumed you worked on it.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Cool tracks CM. It made me remember when i saw the bear tracks on the Baldy bowl last January and got so excited. One of these days i hope to see a bear and not just their tracks. or scat! :?