Little Jimmy Springs

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

might go up to little jimmy and mt Islip on friday.

is there water there right now?

has anyone been up there in the past few weeks?

were exactly is the spring? ive only been there when there's snowpack...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Little Jimmy Spring is as reliable as the rock of Gibralter. To find the spring, go about 5 or 10 minutes east on the PCT past the camp and look for a side trail going down to the left. I can't remember if the side trail is signed or not, but it's very well used and not hard to find. The water is flowing out of a pipe directly out of the side of the mountain.

Note: There have been a lot of cars broken into lately among those who park overnight at Islip Saddle.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Trail isn't signed, but hard to miss.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Little Jimmy spring is flowing very well as of 10/05 8) . I filtered two liters of water there very quickly, while on my way to Windy gap and Mount Islip on Sunday. Sorry I couldn't get any pics though, since my gf left the camera at home :evil:
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The day Little Jimmy Spring dries out, will be the day these mountains die. For 40 years I have never seen it dry. It even flows during the winter. Filtering the water??? You have to be kidding. Not this hiker. This water is GOLD!!!
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Im not particularly familiar if the spring at Little Jimmy Trail Camp dries up or not in the Summer? Do any of the kind members here know if that fine pipe & trough has water as of mid August?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I'm afraid, I'm going to have to defer to local subject matter expert, Hikin' Joyce, on this one.

Joyce says, "Water! Splash, splash! Water!" (translation: "water all year, bro; yer good to go")

Photo of Joyce gathering data about a week and a half ago:

HJ
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Cheers once again to you HJ. Coming through with the all important knowledge. Little Jimmy is a back-up plan just in case the heat & other conditions for Plan A don't come through.

Thanks again!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, don't thank me; thank my water quality consultant. :)

HJ
wiggingout

Post by wiggingout »

Anyone been up to Little Jimmy Springs the last week or two? How is the water situation, planning to head up this weekend for an overnight. Thanks!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Little Jimmy is very reliable. I have never seen it go dry since 1981. Who knows with this drought
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

It was fine as of a week ago.
Like Matt said, I've never known it to be dry.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

You probably already know by now wigginout, but Little Jimmy Springs is flowing fine. Filled up there yesterday. If you went up this weekend, looks like you had lots of company at Little Jimmy camp.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

A perennial topic i'm sure, but anyone know if water is following at little jimmy springs?

On a similar note, any suggestions for a one night backpack this weekend, where theres the chance to fill up on water and bag a decent sized peak?

Many thanks

Josh
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Little Jimmy is extremely reliable and I haven't heard of any reports of it going dry. I'd say it's flowing. Windy Spring and Lilly spring which are nearby are both duds. Save your time.

Stay at Little Jimmy. You can easily bag Islip, Hawkins, or Throop from there. If you want more miles, you can hike to Baden-Powell and back, bagging Hawkins, Throop, and Burnham en route. If you like off trail, you can do Copter Ridge.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

7/21/14 update (last picture in first post)...

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=5933
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Thanks for the great advice as always. I think i got my springs confused! Such an amateur! I was thinking of the spring along icehouse canyon trail (is that Columbine?) Does anyone know if that is still flowing?
Never-the-less knowing they'll be water at Little Jimmy springs is useful and gives me options.
Thanks!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Columbine Spgs is also pretty reliable. I haven't heard of it going dry. Kelly Camp? Dry.

HJ
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Columbine Spring is flowing as of last Saturday, but the rate is lower than in previous years. Another dry winter and who knows about next year.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Plentiful, delicious and COLD!

The secondary pipe that you pass on the way in from the campground is dry.
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Was hoping someone would be able to say if the spring is still running or not, and when the last time they verified that. Thanks for any input, Bill
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

While I haven't been up there in awhile my understasting is that it is flowing fine. Saw a report by a trail running group that it's flowing.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Post I saw was from two weeks ago
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

The spring at Little Jimmy was flowing fine. Filled a one quart bottle in 12.86 seconds. Nice and cold also.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

hillbasher wrote: Filled a one quart bottle in 12.86 seconds.
You sure it wasn't 13.01 seconds? Let's not exaggerate here. If I bring a Nalgene up this weekend, I expect sub 13 second fill times!

HJ
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Actually Jim, it might have been 12.85 seconds, as I felt a little slow on the timing. LOL
dbryner

Post by dbryner »

Hello, planning a backpack to Little Jimmy Trail Camp. Anyone know if water is currently flowing in Little Jimmy Spring?
Thanks.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

The half-keg vessel that was under the spring pipe for the last 8 years or so (see post #7) is gone as of 8 July. I thought it was kind of cute. Water still plentiful as of that time.
dsc01086.jpg
tallsquirrel

Post by tallsquirrel »

Anyone seen the spring @ Little Jimmy lately? I wanna take my kid up there next month.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Yeah...it's flowing as always.