small explore of the Jar Vista branch of Bear Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Not wanting to risk a tow-away on such a nice morning, despite many "lawbreakers" doing the same, I headed over to Jar Vista Memorial.

I headed down next to a step then supersteep slope, wondering how hard it was going to be to get back up. The scenery picked up soon thereafter into a charming canyon, and its confirmed as one of the best, albeit its too bad the views werent better. My destination was elevation 5600, that I thought might be impassible with a rope. But instead it was just a pretty cascade. I ended up turning back near elevation 5200, thanks to a 60-70ft waterfall.

On the way back, not looking foward to reversing the drop-in I went for Jarvi Memorial up the side of the hill. As I ascended higher, things look sketchy, but it all turned out OK as I tumbled onto the Sierra Alta trail south of exhibit#7. Total time was 3.5 hours.

Solid trees throughout reminiscent of the South Fork Iron Fork

Looking back as the canyon starts

Zoomed in view of the bottom of the waterfall. No ropes equals no further travel.

Canyon right is named Castillo Blanco by the Sierra Alta trail and this is what the bottom looks like

Heading back up to Jarvi, a almost 360 degree summit that overlooks the canyon

Panning right

Higher up....

Short trip to Little Jimmy spring via the Hwy "trail".
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Jealous.