Iron Fork Campground to Ross Mountain or Mount Baden Powell

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
cocobrown23

Post by cocobrown23 »

Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone may shed some light on the possibility of a hike from Iron Fork Campground to Ross Mountain or Mount Baden Powell. My buddies and I did a overnight backpacking trip from the East Fork trailhead through bridge to nowhere and ended up at Iron Fork. Now we are going to do a 2 nighter. Was hoping to set up camp at Iron Fork again, but the second day go without packs and try to hit one of the nearby peaks. I know there is a trail that follows the east fork all the way to vincent gulch and up to vincent gap, but I think this would be a little too long for us to go there and back.

Has anyone tried to, or heard of anyone summiting Ross or Baden Powell following the Iron Fork river. This would much more direct, just not sure if its doable.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Would just really like to get a cool day hike in from Iron Fork campground on the second day. Thanks for your help.
dima

Post by dima »

AW~

Post by AW~ »

Fish Fork camp is more the place for elevation gaining&open space. Iron Fork camp is exploring the cooler temps canyon environs, confined space(Even though the camp itself is in open space).

That said, an evening hike can be had, with differing levels of commitment to see a sunset effect.

The easiest is the south ridge of Ross, opposite river side of the camp. 400ft of up to 100% brush free steep scramble gets a good 270 view above the rivers.
https://eispiraten.com/v ... 16&start=0

Next committing would be the Stanley-Miller mine which has the type of peak-bagging determination of an approach, and basically brush-free. A bit less than 180 view.

If I had to recommend just all day peakery , it would be the Hawkins ridge that the camp is on the bottom of. Narrow and miserable brush here or there, but some of the areas best views. 300+degree view from elevation 4775.

And essentials would need to be carried. There isnt any easy waters sources around on the mountains here.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

cocobrown23 wrote: Has anyone tried to, or heard of anyone summiting Ross or Baden Powell following the Iron Fork river. This would much more direct, just not sure if its doable.
Not doable in one day there and back, even with jet engine physique.