Ross Mountain - 6/7/2013

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Uncle Rico recently posted a pretty spot-on report of this same route, so I won't go into too much detail...

I wasn't quite sure what to expect on this hike, as most reports I've read indicate that it's not overly difficult but it is listed as one of the "toughest dayhikes of the SGs" over at summitpost.

It's tough, that much is sure, mostly because it's an inverted hike where you wear yourself out climbing down to the peak, only to then turn around and climb 2000' back up. The key to this one is to get an early start and bring plenty of water, as the climb back up from Ross can be a pain in the heat of the day. The views you get on every stretch of this hike make it well worth it though.

Easy Hiking along the Dawson Saddle Trail

Peering Down into the Iron Fork from the PCT

One of the best views in the world

Just follow the ridge, very little (if any) routefinding required

Pine, Dawson, Baldy, San Antonio Ridge, and Iron

Refreshments

Clouds adding to the scenery

A search and rescue copter was sitting on the summit for about 15 minutes when we climbed back up. I believe there was some sort of rescue/assistance required down at Dawson Saddle and this was the back-up chopper (based on LAFD twitter)

Goodnight

More photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wattifoto/ ... 009207989/

Cheers!
8)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I don't recall seeing that chess set out there and I definitely didn't see the Anderson Valley IPA. Nice find. :)
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Nice set of pics, that 2000' return back up to Baden-Powell can be a bear.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Very nice pictures. I love the views from that ridge. On the beer label is that a hybrid Moose Bear?