Ross Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Have been staring at Ross on the topo for a good long while now and looking for the right opportunity to check it out. Yesterday, that opportunity presented itself so I jumped at it. Some folks from the HPS were making the trek from Dawson Saddle out to Ross (with stops at Throop, Burnham, and BP along with way) so I decided to join them for the fun.

From BP, you drop 2000 feet down the ridgeline following an obvious use trail. The trail is steep and loose in places, particularly the 2nd 1000 feet before the summit. Climbing out is a pretty good pull, although no problem for all you young bucks. The summit itself is not particularly note worthy although it affords some interesting views, particularly of Iron. We looked for the summit register, but it has apparently been "removed." Weather was warm, but not as bad as it could be as a slight breeze was blowing. The climb back to BP is exposed and would be uncomfortable on a hot summer day.

Some pics.

Mt. Lewis from the trail leading up from Dawson Saddle

Ross from the PCT

Ridgeline Leading Down to Ross.

High Desert from Baden-Powell

Throop and Burnham from Baden-Powell

Mine Gulch and Pine Mountain Ridge

Ridgeline Down to Ross. Rattlesnake in the Distance to the Right?

Looking Back at Baden-Powell

Ross from the Ridgeline

Looking Back to Baden-Powell Mid-Ridge

Another Pic of the First 1000 Feet of Elevation Loss

Blooming Yucca Along the Ridge

Baldy and Co. from Ross

Iron from Ross

Heading Back to Baden-Powell

Ascending Ross Ridge
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great pictures, Rico. I especially like the Mine Gulch shot. Looks like an honest days work.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

well done, loving the pics. cool look at BP.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Nice pics Uncle, looks like you had a beautiful day out there, especially coming from Dawson Saddle. It sucks that people are removing the trail registers, it was there a year ago(as shown below). I think I will get in the habit of always carrying a spare notebook in my pack to replace missing logs.
Ross 2012 : http://philbrown.smugmug.com/Other/Mist ... &k=zvp7ZW6
Cheers Phil
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Thanks guys. It was a good day in the mountains (is there a bad day?) and it was cool to explore someplace I hadn't been before.

@Phil- I don't get the whole removing the summit register thing. Not only wasn't there a register, there wasn't even a canister. Wonder if the guys/gals who remove registers are the same folks that tear down the wind breaks atop Baldy? What's the point?

Anyway, nice pics from your trek to Ross. Your images of rime ice on BP are super nice. I wanna go back and see that when it gets cold.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Looked like a really good hike. Thanks for sharing the photos. The last photo in particular looking back up the ridge towards BP from Ross, at the what needed to be gained back is great.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote: Have been staring at Ross on the topo for a good long while now and looking for the right opportunity to check it out ... We looked for the summit register, but it has apparently been "removed."
Congrats on getting to Ross. That's a fun/tough hike. Too bad the Register Fairy beat you to it.

RIP Ross Register (photo taken 9/25/11)

JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Uncle Rico wrote: Thanks guys. It was a good day in the mountains (is there a bad day?) and it was cool to explore someplace I hadn't been before.
You're right - no bad days. Unless of course you get a ride back in a helicopter and make the news or something.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda