Clamshell Peak, Monrovia Peak

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Anyone got any good 411 on either or both Clamshell or Monrovia Peaks?

A friend wants to go, but I've never been and it's not in any of my guide books. I can see the road up Sawpit Canyon, but that looks like a long way to get anywhere. Anything better?

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Monrovia Peak via the road up Sawpit Cyn. and back is 20 miles, 4500' gain round trip. Just over 7 hours if you put it in cruise control and travel light.

The route up the south ridge of Clamshell is super steep and super brushy. A couple of weeks ago the way was 'blocked' by this nasty sign.

Ze's done it, Bob Burd's done it, Kathy Wing has done it. Look at their web sites for info.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

OK, yeah, I remember that sign. I thought it was for something over that way.

Neither of those hikes sound all that fun anyway: brush or a long road slog. Ugh.

HJ
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

I haven't been up the entire way, but the portion up Clamshell is quite brushy.

Last summer, instead of ascending that ridge up Clamshell, I inadvertently went down a terribly unmaintained trail. After turning around, I realized I should've gone up this way:

Fun stuff indeed.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

OK, I'll mark that down. "Somewhat" brushy. Bring a chainsaw, Sherman tank, or other mega brush destroying tool (such as a Zé).

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

clamshell ridge really isn't that bad...looks worse than it is, IMO. It doesn't resist.