Cattle Canyon Tungsten Mine?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

The other weekend I hiked the road down from Cow Canyon saddle to the locked gate at the entrance to Thompson Ranch. I printed the "Permission to Walk" pass signed by Ron Curtis found over at the SummitPost page, but never ended up seeing anybody out there. The RV park up top looked empty.

I've been doing as much research on the area as I can, but haven't found much recent info. Does anyone know if the mine is still operating? I didn't end up walking up Cattle Canyon, there was an RV and a pickup truck with a camper parked down there though. I found in the USGS mineral report for 2008 that the mine was operating but the report didn't include any statistics.

Here's an interesting article on the mine from 1990:
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-06-17/news/ga-271_1

The entire area has fascinated me ever since I saw Widman Ranch from up above on the ridge to Iron. I've hiked in from East Fork as well, to the gate on the other side of Thompson Ranch. Haven't been down into Coldwater yet but maybe later this winter I'll hike in via Heaton. Is Widman Ranch occupied year-round? Thompson Ranch? Who owns these places? Anyone know how to contact them to ask for permission to pass through the area?

I really wish I could use my mountain bike to get around down there, but it seems this has been a controversial issue in the past. Plus it's wilderness, albeit with an improved road and a mine. Lots of good trip reports exploring the mines and Big Horn Ridge, the chutes leading up to Iron, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's a picture of the mining ops - taken from a point on the ridge north of Lookout Mtn...

Excessive discussion of Big Horn Ridge, the mine and the "old dude with a gun" theory can be found in this thread.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Don't worry. As soon as the National Park Service takes over The Angeles, they will condemn all private property. Of course, then, beyond the bickering on forums and trails, your mountain bike will be illegal.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

pretty sure it's still operating. have seen people in the canyon. davantalus has interacted with the tungsten mine people, it seems.

https://eispiraten.com/f ... asc-60.php

Big Horn ridge and mine TR's might be mine, so thanks :)

been up Cattle canyon twice, but never up to the mine.

you don't need permission to get into Coldwater canyon from Heaton Flat trail. and you can cross it and try to follow the old route up to Big Horn ridge, or turn north and check out the mines (grrr I still have to go back to Gold Dollar...).

If you want to head south, then I think you would need permission. it seems someone is at Widman ranch.

Or you could attempt to descend down a ridge east from the heaton flat trail straight to Weber camp.

where do you want to go?
wesweswes

Post by wesweswes »

I'm wondering if anyone has tried getting up to iron #1 via cattle canyon, passing through thompson and widman--is there a way to get around the private property?