What you should be doing on June 20, 2009!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I saw this announcement on the Whitney Portal Store Message Board.
A good friend of mine, Jordan Minyard, was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer. Some friends and I have set up a way to raise money for him by hiking Mt Baldy Saturday June 20. It would be great if any of you could participate, and for some to climb it more than once! The more people we can get to the top that day the more money we will raise for him and his family!

Check out this link for more info
Baldy For Baldy
I was planning something else for this weekend, but who can turn this down? Jeff Scofield is going to be there! Let's join him. My son and I are going to do at least a couple of round trips up the Ski Hut Trail.

Here's where you can sign up! 8) 8) 8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sounds like a good idea. I can't give money but I can summit!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Grumble, grumble, grumble. It's a long shot but I'll try to be there by 5a - ski hut trail.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:Grumble, grumble, grumble. It's a long shot but I'll try to be there by 5a - ski hut trail.
How many times are you going for it? I am figuring on getting there at 5:30 or so. I can certainly see doing it a couple of times.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AlanK wrote:How many times are you going for it? I am figuring on getting there at 5:30 or so. I can certainly see doing it a couple of times.
Once, if that, if I make it at all. I haven't hiked in about a month so you guys will probably lap me. But be sure to say hi! :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

If I can make it, I'll try my best to get there at the same time so I can grumble and curse with you guys.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

TacoDelRio wrote:If I can make it, I'll try my best to get there at the same time so I can grumble and curse with you guys.
Grumble. This means we'll be having to look out for falling rocks. :!:

Seriously, this guy John who is organizing this thing is a pretty cheery fellow. We'll have to double up on the grumbling and cursing.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

AlanK wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:If I can make it, I'll try my best to get there at the same time so I can grumble and curse with you guys.
Grumble. This means we'll be having to look out for falling rocks. :!:

Seriously, this guy John who is organizing this thing is a pretty cheery fellow. We'll have to double up on the grumbling and cursing.
Will do. We can do it in other languages, too.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

I will be there too though I'm going to shoot for 3am just in case I can squeeze in a few more summits. Hey, btw, does anybody know what the record for total # of Baldy summits in a 24-hr period is?
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Rick Kent wrote: Hey, btw, does anybody know what the record for total # of Baldy summits in a 24-hr period is?
I think you can get at least 6. :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

37, by James Constance in 1999.

Just kidding. Made that up. I have no idea. :lol:
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Hey Rick,

If you do 5 I'm going to post you have the record. From the ski hut that's 40+ miles in a day. Only other dude that I know has done something like that is a few guys on the Mt Whitney trail have done 2 summits in a 24H period for a total of 44 miles...Rick if your starting at 3am look for me and Alan K on the way down. Were starting at 5:30 at the Manker Flats TH.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I'll be thinking of you guys while I'm fishing off Catalina Island for white sea bass and yellow tail. I should be back about 4:30, can make it to Manker by 7pm to meet up with the graveyard shift. I'll bring some fresh sushi for the night time summit teams.

Taco - you got "One Cup Saki's" on hand?
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Nice. Should be a good time. Those of us left after 7pm are gonna be pretty tired I imagine. Looks like Gigamike and Richard Piotrowski will be there too.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

EnFuego wrote:I'll be thinking of you guys while I'm fishing off Catalina Island for white sea bass and yellow tail. I should be back about 4:30, can make it to Manker by 7pm to meet up with the graveyard shift. I'll bring some fresh sushi for the night time summit teams.

Taco - you got "One Cup Saki's" on hand?
I've got some Nigori, no Ozeki unfortunately. :-(
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice running into some of you up there. Great day for a hike. Pics.
Taco's TR with everyone's input.