Baldy for Baldy 20090620

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Good to see y'all today!

Got to meet Jordan on the way down. Hope all goes well!

Some pics

Side question... did any of you on here descend Devil's Backbone wearing a blue jacket? If so, you yelled at me for throwing rocks onto a distant low-angle scree field and you gave me lip. "I could be down there next time!" Not likely. But, you stormed off with an attitude and didn't bother talking to me. Really hammered a point home with me there, good job. :roll:

asbufra

Post by asbufra »

It was a beautiful day. Not too hot not to windy. I only recognized Alan and Eric (primarily by how fast they were going) although I must have been passed by many familiar names from these boards.

If you look closely there are 19 hikers in this one small part of the trail.

My estimate is I must have said "How ya doin?" or "Nice day" 500 times, maybe more. Not that I mind.

It was a pleasure to do what I love to do and help out Jordan with a small donation.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Great day! Pics.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It was a lovely day, clear in the mountains and socked in down below. The event was part of a fundraiser for Jordan Minyard, who developed cancer and started chemo within days of the birth of his first child (Baldy for Baldy Web site). Hikers made donations which were matched by sponsors. One hike up and down the Ski Hut Trail doubled ones donation, two trips tripled it, etc. A total of 59 people contributed to the hiking extravaganza. It was great to be part of this event.

I knew I was not ready for a super outing, as I have been recovering from an injury. I promised two trips, but hoped for three. As it turned out, I got my three and my son Eric got four. We started at 5:40 and did our first round with John Drollinger, who organized the event. At 6 AM, near the Register Ridge trail, we met Rick Kent and Richard Piotrowski, who had started at 3:00 and were finishing their first trip. Eric and I ended up doing two trips in the morning. Eric did a third at around noon. He was quick enough that he got back in time to start his 4th with Richard and Rick. I joined them. So, we got to do our last trip of the day together. It was their 4th summit of the day (also Eric's 4th, my 3rd). When we left for home, Rick Kent was going to solo a 5th summit, which he attained at 11:30 PM. Oh, and he made it down too.

We started off with a 3 hour round trip, slowed to about 3:30 for the second and, for my third, about 4:00. Rick and Richard were on a similar plan. Eric did throw in a 2:57 on this third, solo trip. It's nice to be 19!

It was great to see quite a few familiar folks, meet many new ones, and... drum roll... finally meet Taco del Rio!

Pictures :D
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Good seeing Alan, Eric, Taco, Mark, Hike Up, Shin, Bob, Rick Kent, GigaMike(one question Mike that nobody asked, was that your gf on the trail with you or just a friend) There I asked the question. It was a surpise to see John Drollinger didn't know he was going to show up. Also Richard came down from Ridgecrest. Jordan it was great meeting you and I hope all is well with you and your family.

Now Rick Kent, think what he did. Most hikes 40 miles and up are done as loops or one way shuttle hikes like cottonwood to whitney portal. But what is so hard what Rick did is every time down there is the temptation to go in the car and go home. That's what I think is the hardest thing the mental aspect. That is why I think 5 summits in a day will never be beaten. Rick I'll tell my grandkids one day I knew someone badass enough to do that, with a little bit of crazy thrown in..Good day all..Already can't wait till next Saturday to bivy on SG. I'll post pics later, oh ya and I ran into a guy that was on his 460+ summit, didn't remember his name though.....Have a good week friends, Jeff Scofield
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Thanks Jeff. It was really great meeting all of you.

Special recognition needs to go to Eric. He completed 4 summits in 2 and half hours less time than Richard and I. In fact he completed his 3rd summit roundtrip in less than 3 hours (faster than Richard and I did on our 1st). On the 4th time up when he and Alan were with us I'm sure he could have made the summit 30 minutes faster. Despite my encouraging him to go on ahead he stayed with us. He completed 4 summits in only 14 hours. Now that's impressive! I'm sure he could have completed a 5th and if anyone could possibly do 6 it would probably be him. I look forward to seeing what kinds of things he may pull off in the future if he puts his mind toward reaching certain goals.

This one was really mentally challenging and having others around really helped (something I didn't have on the final summit). After the 4th round I really really really wanted to join the others for dinner. I was hungry and needed some high fat food. I would have killed for a pizza. I didn't really have much energy left but figured I would never be in a position again to attempt 5 summits. A couple years back I had briefly contemplated multiple Baldy summits but pyschologically that wasn't something I could get into. It's hard to do the same thing over and over back to back. In fact I think this was harder overall than when I did the Iron-Baldy traverse from Heaton to Manker and back. Having a good cause like this fund raiser however provided the necessary incentive. So despite the fact that I was pretty much done after 4 I figured I should at least make a stab at 5. Several times on the way up I had almost given up and was fighting to stay awake. It's kinda funny falling asleep for 10 or 20 seconds and then waking up with no idea where you are ... and then you realize it's not yet over.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Way to go guys. I think 2x would be beyond a lot of folks.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Way to go guys. I think 2x would be beyond a lot of folks.
To make the obvious comparisons, I think that 3X was significantly harder than a full C2C. You get 20% more elevation gain but also have to walk down every step you walked up -- on a steep grade! I'll let Rick decide if 5X is equivalent to a double C2C, but I would think so.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

wow, nice job guys! this is all from manker flats I'm assuming? 3x up is impressive, already 12,000 ft...5x would be 20,000 ft :shock:

but if ever there was added motivation to go for it, this would have been it. i'm sorry i wasn't in town to share in a few summits.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

I wanted to hook up and hike with Alan, Rick and Richard but Rick and Richard were starting at 3am and Alan at 5:30 so I decided to sleep in. Started the hike at 5:40 and had some achilles issues so after 1/4 mile ended up hiking by myself until I hooked up with TacoDude. It was a great day and met allot of old friends and new friends. John B want to hike again with you soon... Jordan wish I would have said more than high to you, sorry you and your family are in our prayers.
Although nothing compared to Rick,Richard and Alan but I made my personal best time to the top in 2hrs and 39min. See Pics below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jeffscof/Ba ... Fundraiser#
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

A note from Eric:
Hey everyone,

I haven’t had the chance to make an account for this board but I figure I can use my Dad as a communication medium at least a couple of times.
Anyway, it was great to meet everyone involved in the fundraiser on Saturday and I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to hike with several of you. That is really great that we raised even more money than expected, and that the turnout for the event was so strong. I have to admit I was skeptical initially that multiple Baldy summits on the same day wouldn’t take a major psychological toll, but it ended up being a lot of fun.

Rick, thanks very much for the mention in your post. You had the most impressive feat on the day, though. When we were coming back on the fourth round I was thinking “no way is he actually serious about going up again,” and then you did, that was amazing. Mental toughness at its finest. Way to go. And go and go and go and go.

Buuuuuut…..If you’re ever in the mood to shoot for six summits someday, and want company, well, I could be convinced to tag along.

Eric
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

UhOh, Now that Rick has set the bar at 5 summits Eric is already talking 6.....If you guys do it let us know we'll set up base camp and support you with cheering and food......
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JEFFSCOF wrote:UhOh, Now that Rick has set the bar at 5 summits Eric is already talking 6.....If you guys do it let us know we'll set up base camp and support you with cheering and food......
And on their 7th attempt we'll stand up top and trundle some boulders down on them to make it a real challenge! :wink:
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Ha ...

Well as much as I like to keep setting the bar higher and pushing myself I know that 5 (in 24 hrs) is my limit. I know I tapped into all that I had and that I pushed as far as I can go. I'm in the best shape I can be and I know that 6 for me just isn't possible. For Eric however ... perhaps it will be.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Rick Kent wrote:Ha ...

Well as much as I like to keep setting the bar higher and pushing myself I know that 5 (in 24 hrs) is my limit. I know I tapped into all that I had and that I pushed as far as I can go. I'm in the best shape I can be and I know that 6 for me just isn't possible. For Eric however ... perhaps it will be.
It's great to think about future possibilities, which are wide open when one is 19. Meanwhile, you did it. You tapped into what you had. And all of us, including the 19 year old, are very impressed. I don't think that anyone, anywhere, other than you, knows what it feels like to climb Baldy 5 times in a day.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

how about Iron Mt 3x in a day, Rick? :lol:

I think there should be forum vote for the next of these hardcore goals. I vote for that one!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I have a new hardcore goal for winter... involves ascending Iron and Baldy in one shot, but using winter techniques and very new routes. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

How about Vivian Creek 2X or 3X in 24 hours. 2X is not as bad as 5X Baldy but 3X would be 51 miles....I'll say 3X would be impossible..Anyways until someone proves their grit, Rick Kent and Eric K are our hiking/climbing all stars....Proud to have hiked with Eric for all of 1/4 mile and share the summit with Rick for 5 min...