Cucamonga Peak - 26 July 2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Last week, you will recall, I climbed Ontario Peak, which was lovely, and decided then and there to come back the following weekend and have a go at Cucamonga Peak. That I did, on Saturday, after being egged on to some extent by Fritz in a Costa Mesa bar on Thursday night. He said it was beautiful up there.

As with last week, I was up at 4:00am and on the Icehouse Canyon trail by 5:50. A group of two Korean ladies with three Korean children started out just ahead of me. As the children were speaking Korean amongst themselves rather than English, I gathered they were actually from Korea, probably on summer holiday visiting relatives in the US. As it happened, Koreans made up no more than half the people I saw on the trail that day, which was the lowest proportion I have yet encountered. Indeed, I didn't meet any above Icehouse Saddle.

Anyway, I zoomed up the trail to the saddle without incident, arriving at 7:30. It was much as the weekend before, except there were even more gnats this week than last week, annoying bastards, and the sun was shining brightly through a cloudless sky.

After a snack and a circuit of the saddle to photograph all the trail signs, I started down the Cucamonga Peak trail. Of course, I encountered the heartbreaking elevation loss almost immediately, which made me sad. I was cheered up by my arrival at a dramatic but, as far as I can tell, unnamed saddle between Bighorn and Cucamonga. The views on either side of the saddle were spectacular.

In fact, that's mostly what this trip has going for it: the views. You get wonderful views of the Ontario Peak ridge, of the San Gabriel Valley, of the Middle Fork drainage of Lytle Creek, and as you get high enough, Mt Baldy peeping over the shoulder of Bighorn:

But beyond that it's mostly just a steep hike up to an unspectacular summit; nothing like the trek through an eerie landscape that characterizes the Ontario Peak hike. In fact, Cucamonga summit is even a little disappointing, as summits go:

I enjoyed myself up there, though, as I do on every summit, having arrived at 9:15. But the area just below the summit, where folks apparently do a lot of picnicking and camping (legal or not), seems to be a bit trashed:

I took a few photos of the San Gabriel Valley and ate the rest of my hummus (a new trail food I have been experimenting with instead of turkey sandwiches). Then I looked over towards Etiwanda and thought about continuing along the trail and bagging it, but I wasn't sure of the route to the top. I'll have to do a bit more research and then head back up.

Heading back down at 9:45, I didn't encounter another party coming up until 10:10. I met about a dozen people in all above the saddle. Later I saw a couple fighter jets flying in low over the San Gabriels:

I got back to the saddle at 10:55 and shared the trail down with a group of kids in red tee shirts who didn't seem to be Boy Scouts, finally reaching my car at 12:35.

Another very nice hike out of Icehouse Canyon, though not as dramatic as the Ontario Peak hike. I'll come back in a month or so with my sister and we'll do Etiwanda as well as Cucamonga.

Moar photos here.

PS: that new message board image is teh suck because it is too wide and makes the forum stretch too wide. I have replaced it in my Flickr stream with a version that is a little smaller, which might work better.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Changed!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote: I enjoyed myself up there, though, as I do on every summit, having arrived at 9:15. But the area just below the summit, where folks apparently do a lot of picnicking and camping (legal or not), seems to be a bit trashed...
As far as I know, the San Gabs have an "open camping" policy. In other words, one is not restricted to official trail camps as in the San Gorgonio Wilderness or San Jacinto State Park. There are some areas posted as "no camping," but other than that I'm not aware of any restrictions. Of course one needs a wilderness permit for overnight stays, but I'm not aware of any restrictions on where one can camp. Anyone got more info on this subject?
simonov wrote: I took a few photos of the San Gabriel Valley and ate the rest of my hummus (a new trail food I have been experimenting with instead of turkey sandwiches). Then I looked over towards Etiwanda and thought about continuing along the trail and bagging it, but I wasn't sure of the route to the top. I'll have to do a bit more research and then head back up.
It's been a while since I've been on Etiwanda, but I don't recall it being a particularly spectactular peak. Telegraph Peak has some really dramatic views to the east if you haven't done that one.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Etiwanda has great views to the south, like Cucamonga. Cucamonga also looks cool from between Etiwanda and Cuca.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote: annoying bastards
so funny!
Bitchen Sign! That's a nice lookin' trail too!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Hey Simonov, I was one of the 2 guys at the saddle heading to Cucamonga the weekend of your Ontario Peak hike.

Looks like the views of the Pomona Valley were much better for you. Hopefully the humidity wasn't as brutal as the previous weekend.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Hey,
I just remembered the jets. I saw them from the Devil's Backbone on my way up. Couldn't tell exactly what they were, and my cheapo digital camera only got them as specs.
They seemed to head almost straight over Baldy.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Zooming in on your photo, the rear one almost looks like an L39 Albatross... I think someone out of Chino owns one (older Czech-built trainer). Hard as hell to tell.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Good eye, Taco. They're L-39's. I saw them while in Bear Canyon and had a clear view of the two.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Danke!

I keep seeing F16's when I'm in Icehouse. Haven't seen an L39 fly in a long time.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hikin_Jim wrote:As far as I know, the San Gabs have an "open camping" policy. In other words, one is not restricted to official trail camps as in the San Gorgonio Wilderness or San Jacinto State Park. There are some areas posted as "no camping," but other than that I'm not aware of any restrictions. Of course one needs a wilderness permit for overnight stays, but I'm not aware of any restrictions on where one can camp. Anyone got more info on this subject?
So, no one's got any more info on this?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote: So, no one's got any more info on this?
I am well versed in San Gorgonio Wilderness regulations, but all Wilderness Areas are different.

In San Gorgonio, there is no camping within 1/4 mile of the trail, except in designated areas, so that's why I'm a little surprised to see all these informal campsites all over the place in the Cucamonga Wilderness. But it might be legal in Cucamonga, who knows?

I was reading today that no permit is required to hike within the San Gabriel Wilderness Area, for another example of things being handled differently.

Next time I call the Visitors Center for a permit, I'll ask about camping. It would be nice to camp on the summit of Cucamonga.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:As far as I know, the San Gabs have an "open camping" policy. In other words, one is not restricted to official trail camps as in the San Gorgonio Wilderness or San Jacinto State Park. There are some areas posted as "no camping," but other than that I'm not aware of any restrictions. Of course one needs a wilderness permit for overnight stays, but I'm not aware of any restrictions on where one can camp. Anyone got more info on this subject?
So, no one's got any more info on this?
HEY HEY HEY! Stay calm Big Jim. We figured if you didn't know that nobody would. :D
Tim

Post by Tim »

The San Bernardino National Forest has some weird rules:
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (b) each of the following acts are prohibited on the identified areas under my jurisdiction:

12.Being publicly nude within 1/4 mile of T-6 crossing of Deep Creek. 261.58(j) .

13.Being on National Forest Lands in the Middle Fork drainage of Lytle Creek or on Forest Road 2N58 Middle Fork Road between sunset and sunrise. 261.54(e) .

14.Being on Forest Road 2N58. 261.54(e).
So does that mean you can be nude everywhere except at this special T-6 crossing of Deep Creek? Why is it illegal to be in the Middle Fork drainage of Lytle Creek after dark? And if I can't be on 2N58 after dark, does that mean I can be on it during the day? Wait a minute, the next reg says I can't be on it at all!!

I don't know what the official rule is regarding dispersed camping in the Angeles NF except for these general LNT rules: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreat ... -lnt.shtml

I don't see any outright prohibition of dispersed camping in the SGW either, except at very specific areas like certain creeks and lakes in the SBNF: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/about/rules.shtml

I wish the rules were clearly spelled out like at Kaibab National Forest near the Grand Canyon which allows dispersed camping: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/kai/recreation/ ... ping.shtml
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

as long as I can be nude in Lytle Creek during the day, I'm cool with it.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/maps/br ... _route.pdf

"Although a Campfire Permit is not required when
camping at Spring Camp(Redbox-Rincon), it is recommended that you
obtain one in case the campground is full and you
find it necessary to camp along the route"

Note on above: Check out the campfire permit and see if you can understand how it in context of the Angeles information...seeing as how most of the time fire restrictions dont allow campfires.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/docum ... permit.pdf

Then you have....
http://www.totalescape.com/active/camps ... geles.html

"wilderness hiking, camp or fire permits are required->permits are required for overnight back country camping "

What I would guess is that you need a backcountry travel permit, the same as the one handed out for the SG river hike...but maybe a campfire permit is needed...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JMunaretto wrote:as long as I can be nude in Lytle Creek during the day, I'm cool with it.
Just give us fair warning, for god's sake. I'll plan on being out of state.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:
JMunaretto wrote:as long as I can be nude in Lytle Creek during the day, I'm cool with it.
Just give us fair warning, for god's sake. I'll plan on being out of state.
I'm on my way to the airport as we speak!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Well maybe now we have a tool to scare off all the litterers and loiterers out of the mountains!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I can see the headlines now: Attack of the naked hiker! :lol:
simonov

Post by simonov »

Colin Fletcher used to go on and on ad naseum about how he liked to hike naked. I always thought it was a dumb idea. There are about a thousand very good reasons for wearing clothing while hiking.

Reason number one, for all practical purposes, is it's hard to find a place to sit with a tender bare ass. I have a hard enough time sitting comfortably with my lightweight nylon trail pants. Maybe Colin Fletcher never sat down during his hikes?
Nunc est bibendum