Ontario Peak - 20 July 2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

After two abortive attempts in the snow in December, I finally got to the top of Ontario Peak on Sunday. So far, it is my favorite hike in the San Gabriels, on account of the beautiful desolation on the ridge leading to the summit.

I've been doing a lot of group hikes this year, but it's often nice to get out by yourself. I think the mountains are best enjoyed - savored - in solitude. That also means I can get up as early as I want, which in my case is very early indeed. I was out of bed at 4:00am and on the Icehouse Canyon trail by 6:00am; but on the way up I noticed there was still plenty of light a half hour before dawn, so next time I'll get moving even earlier.

I finally, twenty years late, packed a trail notebook where I could record notes and details and times and stuff, so for once I have a pretty accurate idea of my schedule for the morning (and morning it was, pretty much, as I was back to my car by 1:00pm). Also, the timestamps on the photos help determine what time I did what.

I got to Icehouse Saddle at 7:45 and the weather was looking grim:

However, for the rest of the morning it mostly made threatening faces, but never bothered me.

I passed two people on the way up and met another three dudes at the Saddle; then three joggers appeared before they continued running up the Three Tees Trail. I didn't see anyone else on the trail after that, except for some people breaking camp at Kelly's Camp, until I was heading back down from the summit.

Just above Kelly's Camp I got my first taste of the weird desolation of the ridge between Ontario and Bighorn:

It got even more beautiful the higher I went. It really is the strangest, most unique landscape I have seen in Southern California:

I kept wondering what killed all those trees. Was it just nasty winter weather?

While clouds swirled around Cucamonga Peak, they never really bothered me, hiking further west. In fact, for most of the time the sky above was perfectly clear and even when I stopped at the top I didn't need to put on my wind shell.

I got to the summit at 9:20, which was pretty fast, for me, I thought. I wasn't bothered by the false summits on the ridge as I was well-prepared for them after reading about them on this board as well as other trip reports.

I had eaten a sandwich at the Saddle, but by the time I got to the summit my appetite had left me and it was all I could do to choke down a granola bar. The register that had been placed at the summit a year ago had been filled that morning, when someone (probably a camper from Kelly's Camp) wrote that he watched the sunrise from there. I scribbled "simonov - 9:20," as that was all the room that was left.

In addition to the traditional summit self portrait, I shot an arty pic of the distinctive snag and rock:

I was delayed on my way down when my camera storage card filled up. I had to stand by the side of trail deleting photos from a year before to make room, and then after one or two more photos the card would fill up again. Finally I noticed I had the photo mode set to camera RAW format, which is about 15MBytes per image. Jaysus. So I fixed that and even after I did I only had room for 33 more shots, which was about as much as we ever had in the old days with film, but which now felt perilously inadequate for the trip down.

For much of the trip along the ridge I could look down on the Bear Flat Trail, where Fight On was laboring that morning:

I passed more and more people as I continued down, mostly Koreans, and while it never really got very hot, I was still glad I climbed up Icehouse Canyon before 8:00 in the morning. It's a long grind up to the Saddle, and an even longer grind back down, but the country above the Saddle is so wild and beautiful it's well worth it. Also, I filled a water bottle at Columbine Spring on the way down, which was a pleasant break from Costa Mesa tap water.

I arrived back at the parking lot at 1:00pm. My feet hurt, but not as much as usual. I think it was the combination of heavy boots and day-pack weight that gave me some relief from my usual sore feet.

Looking at my calendar, I noticed this upcoming weekend appears to be open, so I think I will have a go at Cucamonga Peak if the weather is friendly.

More photos available here.

Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

What a great day for a hike huh? Man it was beautiful! Those clouds were ROLLING I TELL YOU.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I understand that the dead trees are from a fire maybe 20 years ago. I don't know the exact date, but someone here probably does. It shows how long it takes the forest to recover when old growth trees burn. I agree that the landscape is surreal. Nice report!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Great write up and nice pictures. I especially like the close-up of Baden-Powell - very crisp and clear for being zoomed in.

I was about 15 to 20 minutes ahead of you apparently. Just above Kelly Camp, I crossed paths with the guy heading down from Ontario - all he was carrying was his camera, so he probably was heading back to his gear at Kelly.

The clouds, wind and temperature made it a remarkable day indeed.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool stuff, glad to see you got up there!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:I kept wondering what killed all those trees. Was it just nasty winter weather?
There was a fire in the early 80's that burned off a lot of the big trees up there. :( I remember hiking to Bighorn and Ontario back in the late 80's. It was about the same landscape then, but with a lot more charcoal still visible. I noticed signs of some new trees, probably from the wet years around 2005, up there when I went up on July 4 weekend. Apparently, it takes a lot of water to get things to germinate. Unfortunately, some of the new trees are looking stressed, probably the result of the ensuing drought.
simonov wrote:I passed more and more people as I continued down, mostly Koreans,
I've noticed that the area seems to be quite popular with the Koreans who seem to be avid hikers (smart folks), but who can blame them inasmuch as Icehouse Canyon is one of the nicest places to hike in Southern California?
Tim

Post by Tim »

There's a very active (and highly technical) Korean Alpine Club in Southern California. I'm not sure if the people in IHC are from this club but the South Koreans' homeland is pretty mountainous. It's probably natural that they like to hike. A lot of the southeast Asian countries are also mountainous. I have a Taiwanese friend whose parents met while in a mountaineering club. Ironically, she isn't too fond of hiking.