Bear Creek Trail (Smith Mountain)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I haven't gone down from the saddle yet. I think it's in decent condition, as it used to get regular maintenance.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We did this trip in Feb 2012. Here is the link to the TR: Bear Creek

There has probably been more growth since then but this trip is definitely worth your time and effort!
OutdoorAbstract

Post by OutdoorAbstract »

Thanks Mike, exactly what we wanted.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

OutdoorAbstract wrote: Thanks Mike, exactly what we wanted.
No problem! One thing I would do differently with this trip is take water shoes and travel directly down the creek. In some sections this would easier than boulder-hopping.
DaBaba

Post by DaBaba »

I did this from the saddle down to the creek in January. There were a couple of sections where the trail had slid down the hillside and we were walking on top of the slide and clinging to rotten rock and tree roots. There was a toolbox before the first slide and I had seen a couple of volunteers out there previously, so I guess they were working on it.

I have to go back sometime and do the whole thing.

A Meetup group had a hike posted all the way down to the West Fork last weekend. They have pictures posted, so it's probably better now. San Gabriel Mountains group, SGV Hikers or US Hikers probably.
nickrp

Post by nickrp »

Anyone know if the trail off of West Fork, Bear Creek (i think) is open? I know there were fires up there recently and just want to make sure it is open for a hike i want to do monday. Anyone have any info?