"Death March" Scouting Trip - June 8

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Interested parties are invited to join me on an exploratory scouting trip from Shoemaker Rd to Rattlesnake Peak and beyond on Saturday, June 8 at 6AM. The primary goal of this hike is to collect information for a possible future attempt at the 13-Peaks "San Gabriel Death March" challenge. I want to confirm post-fire conditions along the ridge between Rattlesnake and South Hawkins, and also reduce any significant brush obstacles that remain. If you're interested in only climbing to Rattlesnake, that's cool. Most likely I will be continuing to South Hawkins.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

My friend Henry just did this, he has pictures on FB. It looks like a a highway. Maybe I can get him to post or I can put up a few photos.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

wrote: My friend Henry just did this, he has pictures on FB. It looks like a a highway.
Thanks. I'll still do the hike to familiarize myself with the route and collect time points. I'll post a report in the Trips section for anyone interested. I'm considering an attempt at the Death March for next year.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sean wrote: Interested parties are invited to join me on an exploratory scouting trip from Shoemaker Rd to Rattlesnake Peak and beyond on Saturday, June 8 at 6AM. The primary goal of this hike is to collect information for a possible future attempt at the 13-Peaks "San Gabriel Death March" challenge. I want to confirm post-fire conditions along the ridge between Rattlesnake and South Hawkins, and also reduce any significant brush obstacles that remain. If you're interested in only climbing to Rattlesnake, that's cool. Most likely I will be continuing to South Hawkins.
Sean I have made plans for that date to climb in Holcomb Valley but those plans are up in the air as that person's daughter has staff infection so that might go by the wayside, if that's the case I will join you for sure. We can meet in Azusa or up at Shoemaker Road, whatever works. I'll know by Monday what his status is and then I can commit. I wouldn't mind going all the way to Middle Hawkins if the day is nice.

Patrick/lilbitmo
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

lilbitmo wrote: I wouldn't mind going all the way to Middle Hawkins if the day is nice.
I'll be backpacking this weekend, so will check back after Monday. Middle Hawkins sounds good. I haven't tagged it in awhile. If you can go, maybe a car shuttle is in order so we can stumble down Pigeon Ridge on the return. Never done it before.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Pigeon Ridge is arright. Way better on the downhill, so you'd be good for that with a car shuttle or whatever.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sean wrote:
lilbitmo wrote: I wouldn't mind going all the way to Middle Hawkins if the day is nice.
I'll be backpacking this weekend, so will check back after Monday. Middle Hawkins sounds good. I haven't tagged it in awhile. If you can go, maybe a car shuttle is in order so we can stumble down Pigeon Ridge on the return. Never done it before.
My original plans are still on Sean, sorry. We are climbing rock in Holcomb Valley all day Sat. Let me know how things go?

Next time. Patrick :D
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

No problem. Have fun rockclimbing.
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

did you do the death march yet? I'm interested in the hike if you haven't. What kind of stats do you have on it? I'm sort of a masochist when it comes to hiking..so no whining bitching or complaining from me :D
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

HikeItOrLoseIt wrote: did you do the death march yet? What kind of stats do you have on it?
Not yet. I'm considering June 13, 2014.

I still need to scout out San Antonio Ridge to Iron. Then I need to formulate a training schedule. This won't happen until I'm done with current hikes already lined up.

I recently scouted the ridge from Rattlesnake to South Mt. Hawkins. That report is here.

Death March estimated stats: 44-46 miles, 16k gain.

Ridge from Rattlesnake to South Hawkins: steep drop followed by some up and down, light bushwhacking, thistles, rocks
North Devil's Backbone - Class 2, rollercoaster over two big peaks, then up to Baldy
San Antonio Ridge - steep drop, bushwhacking (thorns), Class 3 or worse rockclimbing
Descent from Iron to Heaton Saddle - Class 2, steep, yucca, possibly hot as hell

A primary issue is water. As far as I can tell, there is only one potential water source along the entire route. So either carry many liters, detour to a nearby spring, or strategically stash supplies.
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

water could be somewhat easily handled by having each person from the prospective group go out on a day hike and cache enough water for the group at a strategic points...it could be considered a training hike... wow that is some big mileage...i guess i should start training now!
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

also just a thought, but june seems like it might be pretty warm in exposed areas...wouldn't it prudent to plan for just after the thaw or late fall when max temps would fall in the 70s to 80s? just after the thaw would mean that seasonal water sources would be flowing so research as to their location and quick recon missions before the hike could verify. A fall date would probably mean caching water, but still cooler temps.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I plan such extreme hikes at/near the full moon, primarily to increase the chance of success in the event of a catastrophic flashlight failure, but also generally to help with navigation at night. Realistic full moon opportunities next spring are:

April 14 - 16
May 13 - 15
June 11 - 13

Another thing I consider is the length of the day (sunlight).

April = 13 hours
May = 14 hours
June = 14.5 hours

So my window is April to June. April or May are possible if conditions are right. The latest I would go is June.

I tentatively picked June because I think it would be cool to do the Death March on Friday the 13th--and snow might linger on Baldy well into May.

I'd like to avoid pre-stashing water. It's not really my style. But in the end it might be the only realistic option if the goal is to finish the March within 24 hours. One marginal idea is a side trip to Little Jimmy for water, which adds 3 miles and 800' gain overall.

P.S. This autumn could be a fine time for the March. I, however, would not be ready in time.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Additional points:

1. With an attempt in April, it might be possible to use snow for water. But freezing nighttime temps would require extra layers and increase the chances of disaster. Much snow and/or ice on trails would slow progress and require extra gear.

2. Starting in May could be ideal if nighttime temps are tolerable (above freezing) and most or all of the ice has melted, particularly on sketchy parts of North Backbone and San Antonio Ridge. Beginning in May would also increase the chances of scoring water at seasonal flows: Graveyard Canyon, Devil Gulch, Flume Canyon, Lily Spring, and Lamel Spring.

3. In June overnight temps will almost certainly be above freezing and there will be more daylight to work with. Survival would require very minimal gear and clothing. However, there is some potential for an early heat wave, like we had this year. But warm weather issues might be mitigated with good scheduling and planning, so that the warmest hours are spent at the highest, back-country elevations. The late season start could also mean exhausted seasonal flows.

4. Next spring offers a special opportunity to complete the Death March unassisted (no water stash), before brush retakes the ridge between Rattlesnake and South Hawkins. Incidentally, this section was thistle hell last June. Lower leg protection is highly recommended. I wore shorts and itched for the following two weeks.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

This hike sounds awesome. And Friday the 13th is perfect.

I don't think caching water, say at the top of North Backbone or below West Baldy, is cheating or diminishes the hike. Just good planning from my point of view on a mostly waterless path, but people have differing opinions on that sort of thing.

I might consider tagging along, unless I come to my senses before the actual date.