San Sevaine Road (1N34)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Bingo! Thanks!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I have been wondering about this road. Thanks for posting the update. All I need now is to scrounge up 70k or so for a new Land Cruiser to drive it.
everyday

Post by everyday »

T McPherson wrote:
For all vehicles, be advised that Whitethorn (Ceanothus Leucodermis) narrows up the road in many places. If you are worried about the paint on your vehicle, don't use this road.
:shock: Uuh, yeah. After spending well over 3k on my cars paint and some bodywork just a couple years ago, I can guarentee I'll never see this road! lol that and its only got barely 3.5 inches of clearance.

i need ta get a second car for going offroading....or even if i just wanna get over a speedbump or in a steep driveway,lol
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I hate when washouts get in the way :lol:

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I went as far as the parking area for Buck Point last Friday. The road was in good shape and not too over grown. The routes to Buck Point and San Sevaine are very overgrown. I was wearing jeans and my legs were still cut up from the buckthorn.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Took the road up today all the way to Joe Elliot, where the heck is the tree that is so famous? I couldn't find it

Definately high clearance necessary, scraped a branch on the washout right before the campsite. 4WD handy if you get stuck there.

Heres some pics of the washout(with tree branches placed to drive over)

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

The "Big Tree" sadly is long gone. I believe that to be its burnt trunk mid camp.
tarol

Post by tarol »

The road is officially open - the FS tries to get it open for deer hunters - but it may close at any time if we get some Santa Ana wind "Red Flag Warning" conditions.

Be aware that this is a popular area with hunters! Wear orange!

The Joe Elliot tree fell, and then burned in the Grand Prix Fire.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

Looking at hiking Cucamonga and Etiwanda from San Sevaine. Has anyone been up there and can tell me if I can get there in my 2008 Subaru Outback?

Thanks,
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I would say yes, but very slowly. I drove it last year, in a truck and dont remember any big problems. I remember the worst part was after San Sevaine, toward buck point.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

I drove that road this past Saturday and it is in pretty good shape. There was a Honda civic at San sevaine so you'll be ok to that point. Continuing on to Buck Point might be a bit difficult. Beware, there were quite a few hunters out there.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Has anyone been on San Sevaine Rd in the last few months? Looking for info on road condition, specifically whether a regular passenger car can get part way down it (e.g. to San Sevaine Flats). Thanks
tarol

Post by tarol »

Well, it's closed right now, due to the high winds
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Internet reports including this one indicate that passenger cars would have serious problems on this road. That report is 3 years old, but it's doubtful that 1N34 has received any maintenance since then.

In any event, the road is closed.
1N34 - San Sevaine Road - Closed
Date(s): Mar 17, 2013

Forest Road 1N34 (San Sevaine Road) is closed until further notice. For more information, please call the Lytle Creek Ranger Station at 909-382-2851 (closed Tues/Wed).
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

A carefully / skillfully driven passenger care with some reasonable ground clearance could likely be driven to San Sevaine flat.

Forget going past there
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

I think that web page may not be current, because when I talked to the ranger station they told me it was closed due to the wind event, but said I could call back later to see if it had been opened.

"Reasonable ground clearance"...hmmm ... I will have to think about that.
tarol

Post by tarol »

FYI it's open again

The FS website is generally kept up to date, except when it's misbehaving (technical glitches), or during furlough :p
fadingfastsd

Post by fadingfastsd »

Hi guys,
Was thinking about taking a camping trip to Joe Elliott Campground this coming weekend Sat-Sun 5/10-5/11. Does anybody know if the road is open all the way through to there from Lytle Creek?

Thanks!
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

San Sevaine Road "officially" opens from Labor Day until the first rains. You can check with Lytle Creek Ranger station but it has never been opened this early in the year as far as I know.
fadingfastsd

Post by fadingfastsd »

It was open last December, I rode it on my motorcycle. I'm pretty sure the FS website said it was closed then too, but it was wide open and multiple people driving it. I'll call and ask. Thanks!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

My bets are that last week's fire in Day Canyon closed the road...
T McPherson

Post by T McPherson »

1N34 has been "officially" closed for the season, till September that is. The gate has not been open for the last six or eight weeks. However, you are welcome to walk or bicycle to the campground any time of the year.
HikeEnthusiast55

Post by HikeEnthusiast55 »

Is lytle creek -> cucamonga canyon via the 1N34/San Sevaine Trail definitely get-throughable with a machete?

Does anyone know if the trail is walkable/hikeable?

I want to know there aren't major pieces of the road missing or something. Let me know, thanks.

Thanks

Pat

Post by Pat »

I know some people went through on MBikes recently, so shouldn't be a problem on foot.

From your posts, you looking to start at Stoddard-Barret and end up in Devore?
HikeEnthusiast55

Pat wrote: I know some people went through on MBikes recently, so shouldn't be a problem on foot.

From your posts, you looking to start at Stoddard-Barret and end up in Devore?
Thinking about making a trek from Lytle Creek -> San Sevaine -> Barret Stoddard -> icehouse -> lytle creek again with a friend

is that even doable?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Doable? Yes.

@Icehouse you can go down the Middle Fork Trail. Quite a hump back to Nealeys Corner.
Another option would be to take the Cucamonga Peak trail all the way to Joe Elliot which puts you back on the truck trail.

Water is the biggest issue. Middle Fork gives you more options on the return, I don't know if any of the drainages along the truck trail have any water between your start and Cucamonga Canyon.

And don't leave a car @ B-S parking or any of the turnouts below the village overnight unless you like that stripped down/broken window look.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I do recall wishing I drove a tank with all that Buckthorn from Deer Cyn east.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Friends did a little recon via motorcycle earlier this year. The road is easily passable although in a wide truck you will get a little "cowboy pinstriping". No machete needed. No major washouts. Better to go up in a Jeep or something...

The trail up to Etiwanda and Cucamonga looks passable by looking at Google Earth but I haven't been up there.
HikeEnthusiast55

is the 1n34 road/san sevaine open to driving up on?

if so how long will it be open?
HikeEnthusiast55

HikeEnthusiast55 wrote: is the 1n34 road/san sevaine open to driving up on?

if so how long will it be open?
o and at what point does it become bad/difficult for driving and better for just walking/hiking?

thanks all