2012 Basic Winter Mountaineering Clinic

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
sdoowpilihp

Post by sdoowpilihp »

I have been looking forward to this since I saw last years thread about 6 months ago! Count me in for sure!
secondlizard

Post by secondlizard »

I'm in. I had a great time last year. I also have at least 6 frinds who would like to attent. When the weather allows give me a date.
droolmonkey

Post by droolmonkey »

this sounds like a party! im in too. ...ill bring my gear plus baked potatoe chips, hummus and brownies! ...gluten free of course :) btw, whos in charge?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

droolmonkey wrote: this sounds like a party! im in too. ...ill bring my gear plus baked potatoe chips, hummus and brownies! ...gluten free of course :) btw, whos in charge?
Because of "Liability" there is no one in charge, this is just folks that go out in the winter willing to share "skills and techniques" with those that want to learn how to go out in the winter.

It will be a fun day, it was a blast last year and at least 30 people came, great day, great fun - looking forward to seeing everyone out there and meet some of the new folks that are now on the board :D
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

I'm In,hopefully the rime trees will be as nice as last year :P
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I'm interested!
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I have an iceaxe and kathoola micro spikes. I guess I need a helmet. do i need crampons if I was to attend?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I would say yes, you need crampons. Microspikes might cut it for the trail, but they probably won't suffice for the Bowl. I am planning on going when the Bowl has much more consolidated snow than last year, when everyone was postholing.
mwkoh

Post by mwkoh »

Would love to attend! I'll be checking in for dates.

Thanks for putting this on.

Mike
Sublatum

Post by Sublatum »

I am very interested! Depending on date will depend on how much gear i can gather by then, but i will beg, borrow, and steal (okay not steal..) if need be.

I can't wait!
AdventureDoc

Post by AdventureDoc »

Count me in!

I have everything but the helmet if someone has a spare?

Looking to get some practice in before Orizaba this spring.

After Christmas would probably be best?
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

Definitely interested in some skill boosting. No helmet though.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Looks like quite a gang again this year, are we gonna try to have tentative dates with conditions pending or will we have a set date soon?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Conditions... sometime in January, most likely. That's all I can say until I am personally in Baldy Bowl to see how conditions are. If I'm there and they are good, then I can set a date based on when the NEXT cold day is.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

If this goes down early enough, anyone up for a SGMDF late January, Early February Mt. Rainier assault? I've got a free place to crash south of Seattle we could cram a bunch of dirtbags in. 8)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

bertfivesix wrote: If this goes down early enough, anyone up for a SGMDF late January, Early February Mt. Rainier assault? I've got a free place to crash south of Seattle we could cram a bunch of dirtbags in. 8)
You going winter Rainier?!?!? I'm in.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Isn't that kind of early?
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: Isn't that kind of early?
Big-Time.

Works if you have a bit of a death wish. Let's go!
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Oh man, I had not idea it was that EXTREEM to go early.

All I saw was "oh hey, RMI is up there starting around then, it must be safe, and we can mooch off their tracks and wands and such"

I am mildly averse to dying.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Average high for the summit is 9 degrees in February. Not that wild.... :roll:
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Funyan005 wrote: Average high for the summit is 9 degrees in February. Not that wild.... :roll:
If only the cold was our only worry....

A winter-Rainier would make most, if not all people on this board, crap a little in their pants. It's something you need to be very well-equipped for and have some experience on summer glacier travel, I'd wager.

That being said, I'd have to do some research, pack my diaper, and maybe give it a shot.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

There is absolutely no snow in the bowl. :x
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

I am interested in this!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey guys, just some data for y'all:

Here is our basic itinerary for the 2012 Winter Mountaineering Clinic.

Please note that this is a clinic, and as such it is free. The 'instructors' are not to be held liable for any injuries or unfortunate situations that arise. That is not to say that I, as the organiser and head dude in charge, will be careless. It is just to say that I am not charging for this and I am not to be held liable if someone falls and breaks a leg. We are all adults meeting up to cover the basics of winter mountaineering, culminating in what is a typical ascent of Baldy via one of the many chutes in the Bowl.

If you have any questions, please email me at rdacey at gmail dot com with an email titled "2012 Winter Mountaineering Clinic - My Name" with your name in the title, as you can see.

I would like to get an accurate estimate regarding attendance. Last year, we had something like 30-40 people in attendance, and I expect more folks this year judging by the response I've received so far.

Please note that the date is NOT SET. I cannot specify a date without knowing beforehand the conditions present in the Baldy Bowl. We will be unable to practice the basics if the snow is too deep and too soft, and at worst the conditions could present an avalanche hazard. I will personally inspect the conditions a week or two prior to setting the final date for the course. I apologize for the inconvenience, but this is an absolute necessity.

6am - Meet at Manker Flats
0630 - Leave Manker, head to Ski hut
0800 - Meet at Ski Hut.
0830 - Discuss Mission Statement with group at Ski Hut
0900 - Head to south side of Bowl
0930 - Set up self-arrest and basic climbing lanes (instructor duties)
1000 - Basic 'instruction': this is the meat of the clinic, where the instructor/s will be covering the basics of "how to".
1200 - Climb Baldy Bowl
1400 - Descent: Glissading, downclimbing steep terrain, etc
1500-1600 - Meet back at Ski Hut.
1730 - Meet at Baldy Lodge for cool-down; dinner.

I plan on going to the Baldy Lodge in the village after the clinic for dinner and a brew. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone new to the 'sport' to exchange information with others regarding plans and partners, as well as just generally hanging out and having a good time.

-=REQUIRED GEAR=-

-Crampons: General mountaineering crampons, 10 or 12 point are fine. Microspikes may or may not cut it. I do not have any experience with them. I would say they are probably insufficient. An example of good crampons for this clinic would be the Black Diamond Contact Strap model.
-General mountaineering axe: One standard mountaineering axe will be required for the ascent. Obviously people have used poles, ice tools, etc to climb various parts of the bowl, but the everyday general ice axe is what we will be using to climb, descend, self-arrest, etc.
-Helmet: The clinic is held in an area that is almost completely free of rockfall danger, in the southern side of the Bowl. A helmet is still standard affair, especially when ascending the chutes in the Bowl, as rockfall is an ever-present danger there.

Clothing, boots, etc are all up to the individual. Standard light mountaineering boots such as the La Sportiva Trango are suggested. Soft soled boots and shoes are not suggested.

My goals for this course are as follows:
-Pass along basic skills
-Nobody gets hurt
-Smiles on faces
-A new world opened up for those new to the lifestyle
-Safety!

As I expect a rather high attendance this year, I would like a helper-monkey. Anyone interested in helping out with the very basics, let me know. Must be patient, experienced in general winter mountaineering, and good at working with people.

Adios!
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

You know I'm down to help with the recon,organizing/assisting.

http://www.onthesnow.com/california/mt- ... bcams.html
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks for the link hombre.

As far as help, I just need a dood or two to help get people going in the right direction, etc. May or may not be necessary. Cheers
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Pfft, let's go the day before, pound out a basecamp, drink, and dig a crevasse, for REALISM.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Arright, I'll meet you there. :lol:
everyday

Post by everyday »

If I get my ins. monies in time, Ijust might make it to this winter-fun-time thing :)
RacerXK1

Post by RacerXK1 »

I'm very interested! Just waiting to see a date so I can start making solid plans.