2012 Basic Winter Mountaineering Clinic

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Since last year was rather successful, some folks have called for the same this coming season. At the moment I'm just gauging interest. If you would like to help out as a sort of "admin" for the clinic or you'd like to attend, please say so in a reply to this post.

Any ideas, comments, etc are welcome if you attended last year and have feedback.

Last season's thread: https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=3276

Same rules as last year... obviously those in attendance will need crampons, helmet, and an ice axe. Some of us have spares.

Cheers

-=UPDATE 20111210=-

Here is our basic itinerary for the 2012 Winter Mountaineering Clinic.

Please note that this is a clinic, and as such it is free. The 'instructors' are not to be held liable for any injuries or unfortunate situations that arise. That is not to say that I, as the organiser and head dude in charge, will be careless. It is just to say that I am not charging for this and I am not to be held liable if someone falls and breaks a leg. We are all adults meeting up to cover the basics of winter mountaineering, culminating in what is a typical ascent of Baldy via one of the many chutes in the Bowl.

If you have any questions, please email me at rdacey at gmail dot com with an email titled "2012 Winter Mountaineering Clinic - My Name" with your name in the title, as you can see.

I would like to get an accurate estimate regarding attendance. Last year, we had something like 30-40 people in attendance, and I expect more folks this year judging by the response I've received so far.

Please note that the date is NOT SET. I cannot specify a date without knowing beforehand the conditions present in the Baldy Bowl. We will be unable to practice the basics if the snow is too deep and too soft, and at worst the conditions could present an avalanche hazard. I will personally inspect the conditions a week or two prior to setting the final date for the course. I apologize for the inconvenience, but this is an absolute necessity.

6am - Meet at Manker Flats
0630 - Leave Manker, head to Ski hut
0800 - Meet at Ski Hut.
0830 - Discuss Mission Statement with group at Ski Hut
0900 - Head to south side of Bowl
0930 - Set up self-arrest and basic climbing lanes (instructor duties)
1000 - Basic 'instruction': this is the meat of the clinic, where the instructor/s will be covering the basics of "how to".
1200 - Climb Baldy Bowl
1400 - Descent: Glissading, downclimbing steep terrain, etc
1500-1600 - Meet back at Ski Hut.
1730 - Meet at Baldy Lodge for cool-down; dinner.

I plan on going to the Baldy Lodge in the village after the clinic for dinner and a brew. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone new to the 'sport' to exchange information with others regarding plans and partners, as well as just generally hanging out and having a good time.

-=REQUIRED GEAR=-

-Crampons: General mountaineering crampons, 10 or 12 point are fine. Microspikes may or may not cut it. I do not have any experience with them. I would say they are probably insufficient. An example of good crampons for this clinic would be the Black Diamond Contact Strap model.
-General mountaineering axe: One standard mountaineering axe will be required for the ascent. Obviously people have used poles, ice tools, etc to climb various parts of the bowl, but the everyday general ice axe is what we will be using to climb, descend, self-arrest, etc.
-Helmet: The clinic is held in an area that is almost completely free of rockfall danger, in the southern side of the Bowl. A helmet is still standard affair, especially when ascending the chutes in the Bowl, as rockfall is an ever-present danger there.

Clothing, boots, etc are all up to the individual. Standard light mountaineering boots such as the La Sportiva Trango are suggested. Soft soled boots and shoes are not suggested.

My goals for this course are as follows:
-Pass along basic skills
-Nobody gets hurt
-Smiles on faces
-A new world opened up for those new to the lifestyle
-Safety!

As I expect a rather high attendance this year, I would like a helper-monkey. Anyone interested in helping out with the very basics, let me know. Must be patient, experienced in general winter mountaineering, and good at working with people.

Adios!
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

I'd like to attend. I'll try to counter any good advice/information you give out with my opinions. Yeah!
Max Falcon

Post by Max Falcon »

Ooo me! me! I wanna try it. :)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Interested. Especially if Burchey is teaching and ass-saucers are allowed.
everyday

Post by everyday »

I wanna...But Im still to poor ta go do snow stuffs :( Next year though maybe :)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

I also have a couple extra ice-axes to lend for the day.

I also have an incredible behind.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I'll be glad to teach the finer art of "Head first downhill glissading" with my crampons on, no helmet, wearing shorts and hiking poles for control :wink: :oops:

But on the other hand I will bring extra gear that I have in case someone doesn't have any :D just let me know when my friend
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Gulp. Er, I mean "I'm interested." Just remind me to bring some "Burchey plugs" for my ears so I can strain out any bad advice.

HJ
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I'm absolutely there. Had a blast last season and was just fun going up baldy with a healthy amount of people.

Hopefully conditions will be a little better for adding a little bit of danger to the self arresting scenario. Soft snow = meh
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm thinking we won't know the exact date until the week of the event, because it will be very conditions-dependent. I don't want us going postholing up there... gotta have some neve, snice, whatever... something you can flat foot on and actually climb.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I'm in again.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Loads of FUN last year. You know me, hate to miss a party. Just let me know when.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1152949450 ... llsDay1811#
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

I'm game, subject to...
I have an extra ax and pons for "welted" shoes....
Stockwell

Post by Stockwell »

I'm so game. What would be the necessary gear list? Thanks a lot you guys!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I have updated the first post with the required gear.

Helmet, axe, crampons... along with all the other nonsense that goes along with that.

Cheers!
norma r

Post by norma r »

fyi... just posted on meetup.com SoCal Hikers and Peakbaggers. Saturday, February 4, 2011, Kurt Wedberg will have a snow skills day at Manker Flat. Registration required. Space limited.

http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and- ... m&rv=ea1.2
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

I'm willing to pass down some knowledge and help out. Maybe I'll learn something. Last year I learned a foam pad can keep your ass warm. I'd always just sat on my pack...
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

I'm in. Disappointed I missed it last year, not gonna miss it this time. 8)
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Kahuna Taco :)

I'm in!!!

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Greenbelt snow climber and cactus ass 8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LOL Ellen! Welcome aboard.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Talus and I are in. Fun times last year!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29308219@N ... 343511046/
Stockwell

Post by Stockwell »

Hey folks,

Does anyone know of anywhere in the San Diego or Los Angeles area that rents crampons and boots? Hopefully, I will also be able to rent an Ice Axe and Helmet as well? I have yet to find a substantial gear rental list anywhere :/
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Count me in. I missed the entire winter season last year due to a broken wrist, so I've been dreaming about this for a year.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Stockwell wrote: Hey folks,

Does anyone know of anywhere in the San Diego or Los Angeles area that rents crampons and boots? Hopefully, I will also be able to rent an Ice Axe and Helmet as well? I have yet to find a substantial gear rental list anywhere :/
I'm in the dieger, can't think of any place down here.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

Stockwell wrote: Hey folks,

I believe REI Huntington Beach does. Go to REI.com and you can drill down to a list of the stores and what they have available for rent although it doesn't mean the gear you want is available when you want it.
Sashimi

Post by Sashimi »

I'm game to go.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It'll be good to see you again, Sashimi. It's been awhile.
Sashimi

Post by Sashimi »

For sure Taco. Looking forward to this winter. I definitely have to make up for the last two winter seasons I've been absent in the mountains.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

I'm in again....is this going to be in the middle of the night :P
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

So.BayMark wrote: I'm in again....is this going to be in the middle of the night :P
Yes and I will bring "silver bullets", garlic and other items to keep the begginers from running and screaming from that "Part (time) Vampire" :shock: