Baldy Bowl and Ski Hut Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

TDR, were you up there today? Didn't see ya. I started at 7a and got as far as the ski hut. AlanK was up there at the same time.

Saw these 2 guys...I wonder if they found enough snow to do any good.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nah, couldn't get any partners so i stayed home.

They could do some fun stuff down the North side of stuff.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

There's plenty snow in the west bowl for that, and there are continuous strips of snow running all the way up that are still borderline suitable for skiing/boarding. Not for long, though.

Pfft..excuses, Ryan..I went up solo. And got lost. Twice. :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm lost 24/7. pwn3d. :(
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Bowl is VERY limited. There is still plenty on the south side of the Bowl, but the Bowl Proper is rather empty. I scree skiid down.

If y'all wanna climb it, hustle, as it's nearly all gone...
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Does anyone know if the Ski Hut trail is passable all the way to the top with boots and no other special equipment?
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

The trail is good all the way to the ski hut with just boots. There are a few very short snow crossings, but they're well beaten and easy to cross.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I made it down to the Jabba's Place from higher up in the Bowl (Northern half) with trail runners, scree-skiing down. Once you get up on one of the pre-summit plateaus, you'll need gear.

Car to Hut, is all passable without gear.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Grrr, up to the ski hut is not good enough!
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Getting to the top of the bowl is probably doable especially if you take the beaten path, but that's as far as I'd go gearless.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I did Baldy with a group last Saturday. If you want to go directly up the Bowl, you will need crampons. If you want to get to the summit without gear, I would stick to the trail. The later in the morning the better for the section from past the Hut to the ridge. Beyond that, it's just an easy walk. Whatever gear you had, you'd want to take off.

This picture of our group was basically people saying that one could get to the ridge with just boots (as opposed to a Vegas tryout).

ImageImage
(red trace = up, blue = down)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I was one of the guys that turned around on the hike Alan mentioned. I had no gear and to be honest (being from the south) I don't share or understand the enthusiasm for the frozen white stuff. So be it. I had a blast anyway! Go give it a try and enjoy it - be smart and safe.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:I was one of the guys that turned around on the hike Alan mentioned. I had no gear and to be honest (being from the south) I don't share or understand the enthusiasm for the frozen white stuff. So be it. I had a blast anyway! Go give it a try and enjoy it - be smart and safe.
I should have pointed out that the people who continued to the top had crampons and ice axes. They proved to be unnecessary for those who stuck to the trail, but one never knows. I second the advice to give it a try but be prepared to turn around if you get beyond your comfort level, which will depend on what you are carrying with you.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I would bring an axe and crampons regardless until all has melted. COnditions change per-hour, so if anyone wants to treach the summit, they might not be in soft snow, etc etc blah blah blah.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

So the part that is the most dangerous is which, blue or purple? (that's my nasty approximation of the trail)

I'm not worried about myself so much, but if I take a few people, which parts are people most likely to slip and starting sliding awaaaay?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Both, though the purple section is in the sun more.

The way up in yellow is a bit snow-free until you reach the Backbone proper:

Either way, I would not try to go to the summit without crampons and an axe, as there is still plenty of snow up-top regardless of approach direction. It could be soft enough to go well with trail runners, or cool and windy, requiring crampons.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Just to confuse matters, the guy on the left got to the summit without crampons about three weeks ago (blue and purple route, while the rest of us went up the yellow route):

But then, he's from Massachusetts.

The week before that, Lance and I were alone at the summit when I turned around and there was this dude standing there who had walked up without crampons from the Village. He talked to us for a couple minutes (with a European or Israeli accent), then turned and wandered back down the mountain. It was almost as if he hadn't been there at all.
Nunc est bibendum
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Actually I think blue and purple are not too shabby for no-gear. The trail is pretty well pounded all the way up blue (from what I saw before I cut across the bowl and went up what Ryan's put in yellow), and the ridge on purple is actually snowless where it gets lots of sun. But yeah, crampons are advisable once you get to the top of the bowl, especially in the AM.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

my buddy and i walked up the regular trail with boots and a trekking pole each last Sunday with no problems. It was his first time on baldy. saw people heading up, just below the summit, in nikes and shorts.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

anyone go up this weekend? how is the snow?
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Going up the ski hut trail and was wondering anyone been up there lately?
Want to use crampons in the bowl, any snow and ice left or would they be left in the bag? Thanks. Jeff Scofield
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

Tim

Post by Tim »

Was up there 3 weeks ago...at that time no more snow in the main bowl but still lots of snow on the slope before the main summit ridge. According to reports on LocalHikes.com, there is still snow on that slope but it's doable without gear. I'm going up on Sunday and will only be taking poles.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Yes my sources say the same thing, a bit past the ski hut there is snow up to the ridge, then intermittently afterward. But you can allegedly avoid the snow by hiking up even steeper portions to gain the ridge, which I'm assuming is part of the bowl, and since you want snow, probably not what you wanted to hear.

See you on Sunday Tim!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Should be a good day on Sunday, Joseph. It’s the coolest day on the 7-day forecast.

Jeff, if you want to use your crampons try north facing slopes like Baden-Powell, San G via Dry Lake or San Jacinto (when it opens back up again).
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Jeff, My current AVATAR shows the back (north) side of Mt Harwood and Mt Baldy. Plenty of snow up there for practice (be careful) on the north facing sides not visible from the south side. I just took the picture two hours ago from my house. A possible place for practice might be in the area of the Harwood-Baldy saddle (it's also an excellent place for a camp or igloo).
ps make sure you take an axe and be carefull if you're going out on the snow there and if you don't have a lot of self arrest skills, stay away from the north slopes.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Does anyone have any history on it? I climbed on top of it and saw not a single piton, but a buncha bolts and hangers, and also a hangerless bolt ladder for aid or something. Toproping? Confused.

Can't find anything on Google.

Pics
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Kurt Wedberg knows everything about Mt. Baldy. Or almost. He is going to consult with a guy he knows very well who has climbed Baldy over 700 times. We should get some answers soon about Piton Rock.

John Wedberg in the Ski Hut posing next to a picture of John Wedberg.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

O RLY

Cool beans... you asked him, Alan?