Baldy Bowl and Ski Hut Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Hey Guys- I am gearing up to head up the ski hut trail tomorrow and wanted to gets your thoughts on the present avalanche risk. Plus do you think the snow is going to be too powdery for snow shoes to be any use?
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I took my 3 year old son and wife up to Manker Flats today to play in the snow. There was 8"-18" of snow near the entrance to the fire road. The snow in this area was not real powdery, but I post holed with every step I took while I was building a sled run. :D Based on the conditions at the trail head, I would bring along snow shoes. I have no idea about the avalanche risk. Temps were mid 40's in the area, and the snow in the trees was melting fast.
Here area few pics:
http://flickr.com/photos/hvydrt/sets/72 ... 4859/show/
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

wow - it's just beautiful up there - even the toilets look pretty.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Nice pics Hvydrt!

I'd say the Bowl has avy risk for this week. I would personally go without snowshoes, and just suck it up, so to speak, and post-hole up there. I reckon they don't weigh much, though.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice pix.
:D

Looks Beautiful!
Travis

Post by Travis »

hvydrt wrote:I took my 3 year old son and wife up to Manker Flats today to play in the snow. There was 8"-18" of snow near the entrance to the fire road. The snow in this area was not real powdery, but I post holed with every step I took while I was building a sled run. :D Based on the conditions at the trail head, I would bring along snow shoes. I have no idea about the avalanche risk. Temps were mid 40's in the area, and the snow in the trees was melting fast.
Here area few pics:
http://flickr.com/photos/hvydrt/sets/72 ... 4859/show/
Those are great photos, I have gone up into the mountains 3 times this winter in order to show my 3 year old daughter the snow but all we were able to find her were small patches. See loves the snow. I may have to make another trip....
Leslie L

Post by Leslie L »

Hi,

I have crampons and ice axe, I’ve taken the SMI snow travel course, and I’ve done some basic snow hikes. Now I’d like to explore Baldy in winter for the first time. I take this very seriously. That said, it seems like it would great fun!

Questions: do I understand the trail above the ski hut disappears in winter? Is it clear how to proceed from this point, or does one make his own route up the bowl? Or maybe exploring beyond the hut is not recommended for someone with relatively little winter experience?

I’ve read the recent discussions but I don’t want to read between the lines and make assumptions. If anyone can share more details for a winter hiking newbie I’d appreciate it.

Thanks much,
Leslie
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Leslie:

This many days after a storm, I imagine you'd have plenty of tracks to follow although they may not follow the trail above the hut. Definitely be comfortable with map, compass, and terrain association so you can pick which set of tracks you'd like to follow or make your own. You can also use a GPS, but in cold weather GPS's sometimes conk out, so it's still good to know the "old fashioned way."

Not that you necessarily were going to, but I would not recommend a solo if you're relatively new to this type of travel. Some places, such as the Devil's Backbone have a lot of exposure. The further you go up into the bowl or the ridge just west of the bowl (the trail follows the ridge), the rougher generally the terrain. You can always go to the point of your comfort level and turn around when things get too hairy. Do be careful, there have been quite a number of deaths due to ice accidents in the local mountains over the years.

Just a few thoughts.

HJ
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

One would be hard-pressed to follow the precise Ski Hut Trail above the Hut right now, but there are many tracks in the snow. Some go through the woods near the trail and some go up the open part of the Bowl. Like Jim, I owuld urge caution about going alone. However, assuming decent snow conditions (i.e., non-icy, which should be the case during much of the day now) it should be easy to find a route as safe as you like. Navigation on the route is reasonably easy on a nice day, assuming you have basic skills and pay attention.

I have been there on weekdays in the past and seen no one all day. If you go on a Saturday, you are unlikely to be alone if the weather is decent.

Of course, things will change over time, especially after the next storm.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Thoroughly agree with everything said above, especially the navigation advice. Keep in mind, your basic options are the ski hut trail going basically west from the ski hut and then north up the ridge to the summit or, going directly up the bowl. Start with the trail route; the bowl is a more advanced route (routes). Do get the Mt. San Antonio 7.5 USGS topo and study it. Identify Baldy's south ridge (the one the ski hut trail follows). Especially on the return down the ridge, you need to be able to know when to start down off the ridge back towards the ski hut. As Jim said, there should be plenty of tracks to follow right now, but what if there aren't or the tracks go all over the place? I've talked to more one person who has just continued down the ridge missing the cut-off. If you can use a compass (along with the topo map), you can take and use bearings to assist you in navigation if the trail is covered.

With winter conditions, don't go solo the first time.
Taco

Post by Taco »

To add to all, as a specific, if you wish to continue past the Ski Hut in winter, you can go up the right side of the bowl, right of the rock towers, as this route has far less rockfall hazard. From here, you cna jump onto the Devils Backbone Trail, to the summit.

Some of us spend lotsa time going up there, so you can always hitch a ride with one of us if you wish to make an ascent in a group!
Leslie L

Post by Leslie L »

Thank you so much - I appreciate all the information and suggestions.

Leslie
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

FWIW, I've experienced sudden whiteout conditions at several locations/elevations on the mountain -- and on more than a few occasions.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

im going up to the Hut on Saturday and sunday with my family.
any word on the conditions? how deep? icy?
thanks

LAST YEAR'S EPIC CONDITIONS.....

this is with a record high 16 inches in one season!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Those were EPIC and EXTREME! To the MAX!
Travis

Post by Travis »

Come one! Someone get up there and update us on the conditon :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

It wasn't bad looking, only got to the Notch at 7800. Looked primed for avalanches, though. Asked Pat at the lodge if there were any folks going down the Bowl, and he said he had heard of no such activity in the past week or two.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I am headed up tomorrow morning, will post conditions tomorrow afternoon. If anyone wants to join me I will be at Manker at 6am 2-1-08
Leslie L

Post by Leslie L »

Hi, my hiking partner Carla and I are considering a trip up the Baldy Bowl this weekend. Anyone know current conditions?

We got a late start on our 2/9 attempt (we hit the Bowl around 10:30) and turned around due to slushy/slippery conditions. Are conditions roughly the same now? We’re hoping with a very early start we’ll have easier and safer conditions and can make the summit.

Also, we came down the Bowl on our return that day - our only option since we turned around on the Bowl – and while this was a little tricky at first it turned out to be quick and easy. If we do make the summit this time, how does coming directly down the Bowl (walking, not glissading) compare with a return via the Bowl trail?

Any info/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Leslie
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I hiked the Ski Hut trail today. I was fighting a bad combination -- a late start and an early turn-around because I wanted to get to Eric's first track meet of the season -- so I ended up going only as high as the ridge above the Ski Hut.

There was sporadic snow on the way to the Hut and plenty above it. It was generally hard and crusty (I went in the morning). I needed crampons and ice axe above the Hut. The trail below it was negotiable in boots, although one should be careful in many places. Lately, however, I have gotten tired of sliding around on relatively easy trails under conditions that do not merit crampons. This week I invested in a pair of Microspikes, which I tried out today below the Hut. I love them. For ordinary travel they made me a lot more sure-footed. They are very light and go on/come off in seconds. They definitely do not move around on one's feet. They are definitely not crampons, but I sure wish I had them during my 21 New York winters.

Pix
justinjohnsen

Post by justinjohnsen »

Hey Alan (or anyone who's been up to the Baldy area recently),

Do you recall if there was much snow east of the parking area at Manker Flat?

A few hiking buddies and I are doing snow safety practice Sunday morning. I'm wondering if we can start right from the parking area, or if we'll have to climb to find enough snow cover.

Thanks,
Justin
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

justinjohnsen wrote:Do you recall if there was much snow east of the parking area at Manker Flat?

A few hiking buddies and I are doing snow safety practice Sunday morning. I'm wondering if we can start right from the parking area, or if we'll have to climb to find enough snow cover.
I was not paying attention to the area across the street, although it is in the background of my first (sadly, rather poor) photo. The snow coverage in the Manker Flat area was not great. It's much better by the Hut (as usual).
Leslie L wrote:Hi, my hiking partner Carla and I are considering a trip up the Baldy Bowl this weekend. Anyone know current conditions?

We got a late start on our 2/9 attempt (we hit the Bowl around 10:30) and turned around due to slushy/slippery conditions. Are conditions roughly the same now? We’re hoping with a very early start we’ll have easier and safer conditions and can make the summit.

Also, we came down the Bowl on our return that day - our only option since we turned around on the Bowl – and while this was a little tricky at first it turned out to be quick and easy. If we do make the summit this time, how does coming directly down the Bowl (walking, not glissading) compare with a return via the Bowl trail?
The snow in the Bowl was pretty hard in the morning but softening in all that sun. I think you could encounter anything from "this makes me too nervous, I'd better turn around" to the slushy conditions you describe. At this time of year, I play it by ear because it's different every time and usually different from even recent descriptions. I would not head up anything I am unwilling to take down -- that was a consideration yesterday, particularly since I was alone.
duelmen3

Post by duelmen3 »

Hey Alan,
Where did you purchase, and how much were the microspikes? I spent three years on the cold northern plains of Germany and would have loved to have them there!

Thanks, Gary
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I ordered them from the manufacturer for $59 per pair.

YakTrax are cheaper. I chose microspikes based on reading a bunch of reviews for various products of that general type.
SkinnyFat

Post by SkinnyFat »

Hi Alan -

Prior to reaching the Ski Hut, do you feel that Yak Trax would suffice for the trail preceding the Hut? :?:

SF
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

SkinnyFat wrote:Prior to reaching the Ski Hut, do you feel that Yak Trax would suffice for the trail preceding the Hut?
I have never used YakTrax, but I believe that the answer is "yes" because I could have made it to the hut with just boots. The Microspikes just made the trip more pleasant. :D On my way down, around 10 AM, things were softening up and I met a couple of people who were hiking up in just boots
SkinnyFat

Post by SkinnyFat »

Thanks for the tip! :)
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

4-04-08:

Plenty of coverage on the West bowl that the pictures don't show. Well trod trail leading up.

Just enough snow in the center/east bowl to get up a few different ways - do it while you can. I went up a little east of center, due to lots of rockfall down the middle. Snow's getting slushy, but it's not bad in the AM, and it's forgiving enough to downclimb easily once the sun's out and about.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks Bert56. I'm heading that way tomorrow and this is a big help.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Might see ya up there early, HikeUp. If I head up tomorrow, I'm using the Bowl to gain my objective, up and over Baldy.