20080311 Mini-Burro Peak and Lower Bear Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

GREG?! Didya guys go? Brought some soju for ya.

Went up to meet Greg and his buddy, whom I told that Bear Creek might be a nice camping spot.

Killed time by going up this small peak. It's got scrambling up the southwest ridge, with some sections you can climb that go at about 5.2 or so, just fun easy stuff in trail runners kinda stuff. 5.easy, I should say, so I don't get my head bitten off. :lol:

Headed down, went to Bear Creek, and hiked up until I felt like turning back, probably 3/4 mile past the San Gabriel Wilderness sign. My goal was to meet Greg either on the way in or back, have a drink and eat some of their precious food, and shoot the shit.

And take pitures of Twin Peaks for some adventure climbing this Spring. 8)

NOTE: If anyone knows the name of this peak, or has ideas for a name for it, go for it. Might as well give it a name instead of the boring and depressing "Pt 3100" or whatever it may be. Or "Mini-Burro", which also kinda sucks.

PICS

The small peak. Route goes up the ridge right there.

From the small sub-sub-sub-peak to the south that overlooks the West Fork bridge. Big, chossy face right there is about 1,000ft high, according to Google Erf.

Climbing up. This is the fun scrambling/climbing section. I encountered one move where I turned off and went through some bushes up a class 2 section. If I was roped, I would have pushed that move.

Looking down

Twin Peaks with what I call "Zebra Wall" below.

Baldy

Ontario and the reservoir

The awe-inspiring summit. I'll put a register up here for those of us who enjoy obscure peaks.

Going down

This scree onramp is the way up and down. There are a few that work.

Then, headed down the road to Lower Bear Creek.

There is a sign on the bulletin board at the trailhead near the bridge that states that anyone on Upper Bear Creek Trail will be fined $5,000-$10,000 bucks and 6mo's in jail because of the washout!!!! My opinion on this is rather obvious, and I need not elaborate as to why this angers me so much.

A washout. SCARY STUFF. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anywho...

Looks like a fun, very small sport climbing wall. Only about 20ft high or so. I'd hit it. "Garbagecan Crag". I'm sure there's some sorta ordinance against bolts though, since grafitti is more important locally.

Blah blah blah, went up Bear Creek, and took photos of Twin Peaks for fun this Spring!

Awesome. I cannot wait. FWIW, I am no planning on reaching any one point. I merely plan on going up to whatever point (or points) in the south and climbing up to whatever we can reach. "Adventure climbing". No specific goal other than to explore and document this area.

The sign on the way back.

Legs

Water

Another small wall that looked "20ft perfect", in automotive terms. Had some small crack systems that might go.

HAH!

One of the campgrounds

End.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:NOTE: If anyone knows the name of this peak, or has ideas for a name for it, go for it. Might as well give it a name instead of the boring and depressing "Pt 3100" or whatever it may be. Or "Mini-Burro", which also kinda sucks.
The small peak. Route goes up the ridge right there.
Don't like "Mini-Burro?" Should I state the obvious? Burrito! Doh!
TacoDelRio wrote: Image
The awe-inspiring summit. I'll put a register up here for those of us who enjoy obscure peaks.
And of course for this one: Taquito.

I'm losing it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Badum CHING!!!!!

Hmmm.... Burrito Peak...

Going once! Going twice!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The whole enchilada.

It's above Hoot Owl Flats, so maybe Hooter Hill?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:The whole enchilada.

Well, it is about the right shape ...
I say this strictly as a devotee of geometry.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hmmm... :twisted:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Jim - where did you take that picture? Did you also meet them last weekend hiking up the Baldy Bowl? We didn't notice you -- no offense.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

How do these threads keep getting off topic? :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AlanK wrote:Jim - where did you take that picture? Did you also meet them last weekend hiking up the Baldy Bowl? We didn't notice you -- no offense.
That's OK, Alan, I didn't recognize you (in drag) either. :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:How do these threads keep getting off topic? :wink:
Hey, you got your topic; I got mine. :D
pilot

Post by pilot »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
HikeUp wrote:The whole enchilada.

Well, it is about the right shape ...
I say this strictly as a devotee of geometry.
Nature does have a way of creating lovely shapes...well that and doctors in Beverly Hills. But as a fellow enthusiast of geometry I say nature is still number 1!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
AlanK wrote:Jim - where did you take that picture? Did you also meet them last weekend hiking up the Baldy Bowl? We didn't notice you -- no offense.
That's OK, Alan, I didn't recognize you (in drag) either. :shock:
I call it "incognito." :roll:

Post by 406 »

I love it.
Is the tree shitting out the rock or is the rock fucking the tree?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I'm not even going there. :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The answer is yes. This tree knows no boundaries.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thanks for the pictures....looking forward to be back to bear creek.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Taco, what was the name of the campground in your pictures?
Thanks
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Mike P wrote:Taco, what was the name of the campground in your pictures?
Thanks
Sorry Mike but I do not know. It is a mile or so up Lower Bear Creek. There are several like it, basically just big open areas shaded by Live Oak.

AW, do you know if it has a designation?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I think its name is called Bear Creek (wilderness) trail camp. It is not a USFS maintained campground, but is used quite often by Boy Scouts, thus is in excellent condition. Im not exactly sure where it is...somewhere between the 6-10th crossing of Bear Creek from the WF San Gabriel river....about 1 mile or so from the West Fork SG river. Before this campground is another space that had a couple of tents, but its easy to spot the difference as one is a lot smaller, the real one is significant space.

There supposedly are 2 more wilderness campsites upstream. One at the WF Bear Creek and another by the Upper Bear Creek trail confluence. There was certainly a lot of space just before the WF Bear Creek to make a camp, but I wouldnt call it a wilderness campsite, more like just a super large boulderish area to camp out. Trail at that point was quite intermittent at best.

The only drawback would be the parking situation overnight, which soon it would be that time of year again for more break-ins. During the day, it seems to be one of the safest places to park, checked regularly for adventure pass parking violations.

Post by 406 »

TacoDelRio wrote:The answer is yes. This tree knows no boundaries.
HA!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Got a mountain page up for this peak:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -2510.html
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

...be aware that lots of folks come up here from the city to drink, fornicate, shoot, and cause problems
Garden spot indeed. Sad.

What's even sadder is I'm nearly up to 200 posts...I'm going hiking...back later!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

TacoDelRio wrote:Sorry Mike but I do not know. It is a mile or so up Lower Bear Creek. There are several like it, basically just big open areas shaded by Live Oak...
AW wrote:I think its name is called Bear Creek (wilderness) trail camp...
Thanks guys! I would like to do a through-hike backpack up to Hwy 39 someday as Chicken Legs was alluding to in an earlier thread.