Baldy Bowl and Ski Hut Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Did anyone go up Baldy via the bowl today? If so, did you need snowshoes or were you able to just head up the beaten path without them? I'm thinking of heading up there early tomorrow morning.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

didn't try Baldy - I just couldn't get out of bed this morning.
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

I am looking to do a snowshoe/crampon hike on Monday.....Baldy, Bighorn and Dry Lake all come to mind....are you going to be around
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Darn, I'm working tomorrow. I can't get out again until Friday - the 6th.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

calicokat wrote:I am looking to do a snowshoe/crampon hike on Monday.....Baldy, Bighorn and Dry Lake all come to mind....are you going to be around
My vote goes to Dry Lake. Take your snow shoes out there. Much, much better than Baldy or Bighorn right now.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Dry Lake is a great destination in the winter.
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

Thanks for the info. When I woke up this morning, it was raining, so I went back to bed. I will make an attempt again on Wednesday if anyone is interested.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Anyone have the most recent pic of the bowl. Going up this Friday. Thanks in advance.

Jeff S
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Anyone have the most recent pic of the bowl. Going up this Friday. Thanks in advance.

Jeff S
Tuesday 3-24-09 Zach and I were on Register Ridge at 6 PM and this is the view looking at the Center to South West Side of the bowl
That was ten days ago, chances are most of it is melting fast, North East face has nothing left on it by now.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Here are some pictures from Sunday March 29th. If you click on the photo and go to flicker you can get a bigger photo, notice the people in the snow.
Temperature at the Baldy Notch is here:
http://www.mtbaldy.com/live-weather.htm
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Thanks for the pics, at least there are a couple of chutes left to play in tomrrow morning....
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Is the trail itself pretty much snow free now? Thinking about a quick jaunt up but don't really feel like dealing with snow this weekend...

Thanks!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

I went up the ski hut trail last week 4/8 and it was almost 100% snowfree to the hut, after that the snow varies between snow free in the areas with lots of sun exposure and lots of snow in the more shaded areas. The final ridge to the top of the mountian was still nearly completely covered with hard slippery snow........Also the switchbacks that gain the ridge from Baldy Bowl still had a lot of snow I think but cant say for sure since I didnt really follow the trail in that spot.....
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Thanks! Just looking for a quick jaunt up. I'll just throw the crampons in the pack in case I decide to go higher than the hut.
Ranboze

Post by Ranboze »

Any more updates for this trail? Looking for something local next weekend.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

I came down the ski hut trail yesterday. There are patches of lingering snow on the trail beyond the bowl but nothing that can't be easily managed or hiked around.
Ranboze

Post by Ranboze »

Thanx Rick. Did you do the 3Ts and/or Etiwanda/Cucamonga/Ontario too? If so, do tell.
gaudzdice51

Post by gaudzdice51 »

Dad just bought me a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes and I'm eager to try them out! Doubt there's much snow left, but if anyone has been up there lately, please let me know how the conditions are. Thanks.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I was there this past Saturday. Still some snow in the shady slope between the boulder field and the top of the SW ridge but there is a path beaten through there. You shouldn't need any gear but there is snow to practice walking on if you want. The rest of the way up to the summit is 99% snow free. Still some snow on West Baldy and north slopes of Baldy and Harwood.
gaudzdice51

Post by gaudzdice51 »

Alright thanks a lot Tim.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

microspikes come in handy on slippery slushy snow and ice that aint bulletproof......baldy summit is easier to get to with a lil snow...follow that dirty footprint path when in doubt
gaudzdice51

Post by gaudzdice51 »

Gotcha. Nice pictures, thanks.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

Hi,
Haven't been out there in 2 months ... looking for latest trail conditions to the ski hut and higher, to the summit ...

thanks,
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

At the moment, clear to the hut, easy snow to summit, though very spotty. Not enough coverage.

Should all change this week! 8) 8) 8)
mve

Post by mve »

It was in pretty bad shape last weekend (10th):
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

thanks for the info ... I better get my behind there tomorrow ...
Ali

Post by Ali »

I was there on the 10th as well and there was snow just passed the ski hut. I'm going to be out there again tomorrow at 0400 and will make a report when I return from the summit.

socalhikes hiker

Post by socalhikes hiker »

So I'm new to this snow climbing thing, and I was wondering if Sunday (1/24) is too soon to attempt a Baldy summit via the Ski Hut trail skipping the bowl...or not skipping the bowl.

I'm thinking avalanche, rock falls, and other variables that would make this too dangerous right after a storm.

Saturday is supposed to be partly cloudy (46 degrees) while Sunday (49 degrees) is sunny.

Any thoughts?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I dunno about avalanche danger, but it's probably going to be super shitty. You could do it, but you'll likely end up digging or swimming through the snow, not travelling on it.