Mt. Baden Powell from Vincent Gap (new snow) 11/28/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Doug Forbes

Post by Doug Forbes »

I just couldn't resist the fresh dusting of snow on the San Gabriel Crest, so after a morning of Thanksgiving gluttony recovery, I headed to Vincent Gap for an easy hike up Mt. Baden Powell via the trail route. There were a few vehicles in the Vincent Gap parking area when I hit the trail at 11:10am (throughout the day, I saw several groups of people on the mountain - some accompanied by their friendly snow-dogs).

The trail was damp but free of snow until about 7,000' where the first traces of corn-snow lined the edges. Snow coverage increased to a solid layer of 6-10 inches above 8,000' so I stopped to velcro-on some long, lightweight gaiters (I suffer from a special phobia of snow-in-the-boots even though I was hiking on a fairly well packed boot track). I noticed snowshoe tracks (MSR Denalis I believe) intersecting the trail and ascending directly up the forested north slope of Baden Powell in several spots, but I stuck to the trail as I worked up through the snow/ice encrusted Jeffrey Pines and White Fir of the lower forest. As I approached the final summit ridge, the wind began to whip, so I donned shell parka and gloves. Through the spin-drift rising about me, I could see two people milling around on the summit. Indeed, there was a group of 4 people seated around the Baden Powell memorial structure on the summit. The views of Baldy, the Mt. Waterman area, and all of the San Gabriel front range were spectacular. The temperature was probably just below freezing (sweat droplets were forming mini-icicles on the brim of my baseball hat) and the wind was gusting to about 20-30 mph, so I decided to skip my lunch of scrumptious Kipper Snacks, grabbed a handful of trail mix and headed back down toward hearth & home.

I descended directly through the forest for as long as the solid snow coverage lasted (using hiking poles to good effect), but when the snow began to thin out and I began yearning for crampons and axe to cope with the slippery surface of icy pine needles, I used the trail for the balance of the way down.

The snow will probably stay on the northern exposures now, and with further melt/freeze cycles will demand crampons & axe on the steeper cross country routes in our San Gabriels. As winter progresses, further storm activity will transform the dusty ridges and canyons into a wilderness born of snow-closed roads and the adventure of more difficult travel by snowshoe or ski.

Climb With Spirit

Hedgehog

Some captioned photos are here:

http://dougforbes.smugmug.com/gallery/6 ... 8543_MXuK8
Bill

Post by Bill »

Awsome!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Nice pics and Great trip report :D .......Today I went out to the desert and as I was driving I was suprised to see how much snow the north facing slopes had!!!!!!! I can't wait till we get a colder storm and snow falls at lower elevations. 8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Holy crap, that's more than I thought we had!

Thanks a million for the pics, Sir! 8)

Post by 406 »

thanks for the photos....hope that snow stays on the north facing slopes and provides a base layer for the next storm.

Did you notice if the snowboarder ( or a skier ) made any turns?
Doug Forbes

Post by Doug Forbes »

Thanks Guys!

406: Didn't see any turns....not enough snow depth to carve.....the guy followed the trail some of the way down, staying to relatively heavier snow at the inner trail edge....

Taco: Yup, but the snow sure didn't stay long (darn warm spell). GigaMike and I were up on the Baldy Register Ridge on Sunday - we were disappointed to find that most of the snow had melted already. We lugged axes and crampons but didn't use 'em. We'll have to wait for a good snow base....

Hedgehog
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Here's wishing for more snow and cooler temps soon! It was warm on the 30th. :? Decided to go for a drive instead after a short walk up Ski hut.