Where have you been, where have you been, where...

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I saw many swarms of Coccinellidae along with this one in Devil's Canyon this morning.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Cool!! I am always both in awe of, and creeped out by that.

Is there much water in Devil's canyon right now? I've been thinking about going there. It's been a couple of years since I've hiked that trail.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

There are mostly murky pools for the first two miles down canyon, then a bit of flow for the next few. I assume it picks up a bit by the time it reaches Cogswell. This pool was near the trail camp.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

A word of caution regarding Devil's Canyon and Cogswell: It's pretty tough to go down Devil's Canyon and get to Cogswell. I'm not saying it can't be done but expect technical canyoneering, and expect to do some swimming.

There's a couple of good sized falls a couple of miles down canyon from where the trail drops in. The uppre falls can be bypassed by either a) climbing (perhaps class 2) up the ridge to the left (east) of the falls or by climbing (class 3) down the rock walls surrounding the falls on the east side. The lower falls flow through a narrow defilade and generally cannot be downclimbed w/o technical gear. At the bottom of the lower falls is a large pool that you must swim across to continue down canyon.

BTW, the pool below the upper falls is one of the larger pools I've seen in the SG's. Quite nice for swimming on a hot day. I think the pool below the lower falls is suppossed to be quite large as well, but inasmuch as I'm not a technical canyoneer, I've never actually visited that pool.

HJ