Car crash, and some notes from your's truly...

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Came back down from the intersection/saddle of GMR (Glendora Mountain Road) and GRR (Glendora Ridge Road), heading north to East Fork Road after trying to get a view of the fires after a failed BBQ.

Within 1.5-2 miles of the itneresection of GMR and East Fork at around 10:15PM on the 15th of November, front left tire blew and vehicle (Mazdaspeed 3) understeered towards wall. Traction control probably kicked in and prevented my buddy from giving the car more gas (FWD car = traction), which applied brakes, causing the understeer. We veered right into the side of the mountain/wall, "slowly" rolled the car which went onto the roof. The roof of the car does not provide very much traction, nor braking force, and we stopped probably a hundred or so feet later in the middle of the road, just a bit shy of going over the edge to have a quick social encounter with East Fork Road. I was shotgun, my buddy driving, my other buddy riding in the back.

On the flatbed in Glendora:
(Most of the damage was on the driver's side, which "caught" the road)

Asked my buddy (driver) if he was OK, which he was. I asked my buddy in the backseat, he's suspended but OK. Exitted the vehicle, pulled a shard of glass out of my knee, tried to open the door for my bud in the back, but that door was jammed. Buddy got out from other side. To be safe and vauge, driver and myself have military/law enforcement experience. Dismount and casualty assessment was very quick, emotionless, and efficient. ;-) I am very impressed with the vehicle's safety and integrity. I read that Volvo helped design the body of this car.

Passenger buddy stayed with car whilst driver and I went to Camp Williams General Store and Cafe to use the phones. First three calls to 911 had busy signals. Had to call a friend who then relayed message to 911/LASD (then CHP) (single vehicle TC, not OTS, no injuries).

CHP reached my buddy at the site, and told him that we left him for dead and we were probably drinking heavilly. Hey, that's really truly professional. Excellent. THey did not come to pick my buddy and I up at Williams to join our buddy, but they mentioned calling in "mountain rescue" to find us. It'll be a VERY cold day in hell before I'm "rescued" in my mountains.

Towtruck flipped car, and moved down to our location at Williams with CHP unit with my buddy in CHP Crown Vic. CHP's situational awareness was too low in the author's opinion, considering the area. Asked for my buddy's firearm, but did not ask to see his badge. Minus points. This is obviously a serious issue, as during no time did my buddy have to show his badge or other law enforcement qualifications to CHP. Had we been a different set of city slickers with no quals, things could have turned out very badly. I do not know CHP's standard operating procedures in this situation, but if they are similar to most PD/SD's, they should be followed much more strictly. Your life and your partner's life depends on being aware of the situation, and "seeing bad things before they happen", as it were. Situational awareness is key.

Moved down R39, to Glendora Denny's on Grand. Fight broke out at that Denny's for whatever reason, as we found out upon having a Glendora PD unit roll up and ask us if we knew what was up. Glad that didn't involve us (I was limping and I'm not a groundfighter :lol: ).

Yup. That's about it.

Discreetely, the author's confidence in "emergency services personel" involved, with exception going to the towing service, has been severely degraded. His opinion was already very low in comparison to other agencies. Author appreciates help, but hopes that those "services" take any comments as constructive criticism/training, and not as a dislike of any agency or other negative opinion with negative connotations. The author is only slightly referring to the three times 911 was on a busy signal. Apparently, a report of "no injuries" means LASD or other police authorities with jurisdiction in the immediate area is switched-over to the state traffic law enforcement agency.

NOTES

*These notes are obviously the author's and not the board's collectively. I'm sure I don't really have to say that, but you never know nowadays.
*If reader does not understand my stance on any of my notes, relieve yourself of reading them.

-If you are to spend any time in the vicinity of R39, the author does not find carrying a firearm for personal protection to be negative. We had some folks try to help my buddy (who, unfortunately, was alone at the vehicle as we were a group of three, not four), but it is the author's very vivid experience dealing with people that not all folks want to help YOU. Your protection is in YOUR hands, and yours completely alone. Reliance on outside powers is not only unsafe, but very simply mentally retarded and ignorant/amazingly immature to the point of being comparable to a 4 year old thinking Superman will come in and save the day. Regardless of one's opinion on gun control, knives, sharp pointy objects, violence, whatever, your safety lies in your hands, and your most likely "opponent" in the mountains is a drunk city dweller who may or may not be armed with whatever they illegally "acquired".

-This is in no way a jab at my best buddy, who was driving. He is an excellent driver, and I've helped him out, as I've been driving up here very often for the past handfull of years. If you drive in the mountains on a regular basis, learn your vehicle and how it drives, all across the board. Wet conditions, dry conditions, dirt on the road, ice, black ice, snow, snow and water, rain, light rain with oil, uphill and downhill with all conditions, all previous conditions mentioned plus the addition of gear and/or a person, or multiple people, with each training "load" requiring focus and learning, etc. Fast, slow, everything. Otherwise, go slow and avoid roads that aren't heavilly patrolled or trafficed (spelling?), in case of emergency. Learn how to handle your vehicle with traction control on AND off, if your vehicle is equipped with such a feature. Never rely on any single tool aside from your own brain and training for your safety.

-Don't buy Federal tires. 2nd (and last) blowout in 24-48hrs or so with that vehicle, with rollover being #2.

-Carry enough change for at least three telephone calls. Note locations of all payphones in the area of your hike/camp/climb/activity, rates, their numbers, etc.

-Note locations of clean water for drinking in the area.

-The folks camping along the side of East Fork Road before it turns to Glendora Mountain Road are miners. I did not even consider this prior to speaking with them on the night of the 15th.

-Stay safe.

-I dislike carrying much gear. I suggest carrying a whistle, a good bright flashlight, change for payphones, and a self-defense implement in the R39 area, or anywhere applicable.

I'm sure this post sounds dry or whatever, but understand where I'm coming from on some of these things, especially considering self-defense in an area such as R39 where it is IMPORTANT.

-Taco :)
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

How fast were you guys going?
Volvo, if you have the means, I highly recommend one.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

jeebus! glad you guys are okay. not glad to see the incompetence of the 'emergency services personnel', geez
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Shizen! Glad you guys are OK. Suckage on damage to car, though. How's the knee?

Nice CHP. "Your buddies are probably getting drunk." CHP --> FAIL!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Zikes! (only one left) Glad everyone's OK!
Seems to be a regional thing with the CHP, depending on locality, and supervision. :?
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

TacoDelRio wrote:
NOTES

-If you are to spend any time in the vicinity of R39, the author does not find carrying a firearm for personal protection to be negative.
-I dislike carrying much gear. I suggest carrying ...... and a self-defense implement in the R39 area, or anywhere applicable.

I'm sure this post sounds dry or whatever, but understand where I'm coming from on some of these things, especially considering self-defense in an area such as R39 where it is IMPORTANT.

-Taco :)

Bummer on the rollover, glad to hear you guys are mostly alright.
How'd you all feel after waking up the next day? That's when the adrenaline wears off and the soreness and bruises start.

As to what I've quoted above; I wish I could have such implement in that situation/area. Alas, I am a common citizen in this state and that's generally illegal. I must make due with lesser implements and skills in that situation.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Rumpled wrote:Alas, I am a common citizen in this state and that's generally illegal.
:lol:
Rumpled wrote: I must make due with lesser implements and skills in that situation.
I got one of those! :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

All is well.

Fight On, I'm guessing 30 something MPH. All factors included, we were not going fast.

J, tell me about it.

Jim, knee is dandy. Still swollen, but it gets beter everyday.

Bill, seems to tbe the same all around CA.

Rumpled: I've been in worse situations, so I didn't feel different at all during or after it. No adrenaline during or after the crash, no adrenaline "crash". When I've had adrenaline rushes after something that "didn't go as planned", I just do my best to relax and suppress the adrenaline and think what I would've done 5 minutes ago when it wasn't in my system. I've seen friends make poor decisions on adrenaline.

Always do the best with what you've got. :)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

ack, had written a post on this...anyways hope CHP was unaware of where you were when they made that S&R statement....
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:I've been in worse situations, so I didn't feel different at all during or after it. No adrenaline during or after the crash, no adrenaline "crash". When I've had adrenaline rushes after something that "didn't go as planned", I just do my best to relax and suppress the adrenaline and think what I would've done 5 minutes ago when it wasn't in my system. I've seen friends make poor decisions on adrenaline.
Finally! A benefit for hanging over the edge of cliffs.

Post by 406 »

Rumpled wrote: Alas, I am a common citizen in this state and that's generally illegal.
Not really, if you are interested look into it..not that bad or hard. Don't want gun ownership discouraged. Remember, if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Post by 406 »

taco, thanks for the interesting report and glad no serious injuries.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

406 wrote:
Rumpled wrote: Alas, I am a common citizen in this state and that's generally illegal.
Not really, if you are interested look into it..not that bad or hard. Don't want gun ownership discouraged. Remember, if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
I am well informed and was speaking of carrying firearms in a car. It's illegal to have one that would be useful for common folk. I own variuos implements, but the govenment puts restrictions on how I may use them.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Having a loaded firearm in the passenger area of a car is illegal in Calif. You're liable to have the weapon confiscated, permanently. Having an unloaded firearm is generally also illegal, although if you have disabled the weapon in some fashion (removing the bolt for example) then I believe carrying said firearm is legal. Firearms in firing condition are to be in a locked container (the trunk is acceptable) with the ammunition stored separately.

Seems like it wouldn't be of much use to carry a weapon for protection unloaded in the trunk unless you're in a situation that you can "see it coming."

Now, on the other hand, if you don't look like a thug or something like that, a lot of officers will cut you some slack if the weapon is not loaded and you have some plausible reason for having a firearm in the first place ("I'm taking it in to the shop," "I'm taking it to a range," etc.). I personally wouldn't chance having the weapon confiscated.

HJ

Post by 406 »

ah yes the gun in car laws are a bit extreme in California...I thought you meant buying one.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Not only that, but if your gun is in firing condition (and I'm not sure, but even if it isn't) the magazines have to be unloaded..

So, stop your car, run to the trunk, unlock gun case or cable lock, open ammo, stuff mag, load gun, then fend off stabby hobo.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sad stuff, Fred.

I've seen a few tow trucks pulling cars out of near SG Reservoir.

I used to sell firearms, and was rather involved in that industry on a personal level.

If it comes down to it, I put my safety above any laws or legislation. If I feel in danger enough, or even remotely close to it, I will gladly violate any law to keep myself and my people safe. Everyone is different.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

bertfivesix wrote:Not only that, but if your gun is in firing condition (and I'm not sure, but even if it isn't) the magazines have to be unloaded..

So, stop your car, run to the trunk, unlock gun case or cable lock, open ammo, stuff mag, load gun, then fend off stabby hobo.
The magazines have to be unloaded? Really? I've not heard that before. Do you have a link that you can refer me to? The Calif. DOJ website makes no mention of such a requirement.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

The unloaded magazines is pure FUD. The only statute dealing with that is about known gang members.

Legal transport in a car
Handguns and registered AW's and .50 BMG's must be in a locked case. A locked trunk (can't access from in car) is a case.
Regular longguns can be transported uncased in the passenger compartment, unloaded.
Magazines and ammo kept seperate from weapons and not in the same case.

If caught in CA with a loaded firearm in a car, you will be charged with a felony - may not be the final disposition, but you're likely to go to the pokey.

For further info on these subjects, I suggest the calguns.net forums.

Taco, how's that knee doing?
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Whoops. I guess I was told that because I drive a small SUV, so i have no lockable "trunk". Everything goes in the rear cargo area. For me, loaded mag near unloaded gun in back = loaded gun. I'm still not clear on how I'm supposed to keep ammunition separate in an SUV. It's all in the same cabin..
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

bertfivesix wrote:Whoops. I guess I was told that because I drive a small SUV, so i have no lockable "trunk". Everything goes in the rear cargo area. For me, loaded mag near unloaded gun in back = loaded gun. I'm still not clear on how I'm supposed to keep ammunition separate in an SUV. It's all in the same cabin..
Just put your handguns in a locked case in the back. A soft case counts.
Put the ammo (in a mag or not) just about anywhere else. Now they are separate. Longguns you can just lay back there unloaded(best if covered from prying eyes).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Knee is good to go, but I can only hobble-run. :lol: