Good car camping spots?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Anyone know of any, looking to get out without hiking, and just car camp, I can offroad a bit, not too much dips, and uh...anywhere in the mountains. Too hot down low.

Open for any suggestions! With a view or not doesnt matter, just want to spend the night in a tent, and sleep in the aroma of the beans that I ate for dinner.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Funyan005 wrote: and sleep in the aroma of the beans that I ate for dinner.
:shock: say what? :shock: aren't you supposed to not like that smell?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Funyan005 wrote:Anyone know of any, looking to get out without hiking, and just car camp, I can offroad a bit, not too much dips, and uh...anywhere in the mountains. Too hot down low.

Open for any suggestions! With a view or not doesnt matter, just want to spend the night in a tent, and sleep in the aroma of the beans that I ate for dinner.
Buckhorn is a good one. Chilao is another. Mt. Pacifico is good, although it's on a dirt road. Guffy over on Blue Ridge near Wrightwood is good, but that's quite a drive. Buckhorn is probably my favorite.

The Angeles National Forest website has more info on all of the above.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

All say closed for winter! Hah, what the heck. hasnt snowed that low yet!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Even Chilao? I'm a little surprised by that. Hmm. There's not a lot of options for car camping if everything is "closed for the winter."

There is Millard CG in Altadena. I've never camped there, but I can't imagine a winter closure there. Maybe Monte Cristo off of the Angeles Forest Highway.

Otherwise, it's time to break out the backpack and boots. Lot's of good low altitude trail camps in the San Gabs:
Tom Lucas in Trail Canyon
Idlehour near Henninger Flats
Alpine Tavern near Mt. Lowe (dry camp, no water)
Hoegee's on Winter Creek
A whole bunch on the Gabreileno Trail:
-Spruce Grove
-Devore
-Valley Forge
-Another one near Valley Forge and Devore that I can't remember the name of
-Switzer's
-Oakwilde
-Gould Mesa
Near Switzer's is Bear Canyon which is a personal favorite of mine.
One can also camp at Strawberry Potrero (dry camp, no water)
The East Fork of the San Gabriel River has unmaintained Trail Camps at
-The Narrows
-Iron Fork
-Fish Fork
-Mine Gulch
I was at Mine Gulch about a year ago, and it's a very nice spot. Not sure how safe it is to park in the E Fork area. A lot of crime.
One can also camp in Bear Canyon by the West Fork of the San Gabriel River, but I wouldn't park a car there overnight. WAY too much crime.

There are probably others that I'm just forgetting, but there are quite a few options for Trail Camps in the San Gabriel Front Country.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Well I called in and asked a ranger, nice guy, and he said that they're closing the camps after the weekend is over when everyone is gone.
So tonight I'm heading to Buckhorn! And if that doesnt work, Chilao it is.

Thanks sir!
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

isnt buckhorn closed? last i saw it was(april 2008)... because of about 3 or 4 fallen trees on the road
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Well I called in on Friday and they said it was open, and that they were closing it on Monday(today). However, ended up not going due to the fire concerns and whether or not I was going to be needed to evacuate my house!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I think that you can still camp at Buckhorn when the gates close. You just can't drive in. Park outside the gate and haul your stuff in. We've done it for snow camping and the Forest Service knows that we're in there.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Good idea! How far in are the camp sites from the gate? Just outa curiousity!
Oh, and, vandalism/burglary, any problem up that way? How safe is it, seeing as since its closed I imagine I'll be the only sucker up there
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Buckhorn is a relatively big area. I'm guessing that the camping spots are ~ quarter mile or less from the gate. Anyone have a more accurate answer?

It's also a safe area, too.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Funyan005 wrote:Good idea! How far in are the camp sites from the gate? Just outa curiousity!
Oh, and, vandalism/burglary, any problem up that way? How safe is it, seeing as since its closed I imagine I'll be the only sucker up there
I've been there the past two sundays. Each time there were several other suckers there.
This last sunday the men in green were closing the gates about 3 pm.