Mt. Lukens Fire Road

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Augie

Post by Augie »

This fire road provides a great 15 mile roundtrip to Mt. Lukens from the Angeles Crest Fire Station. This trailhead is only about 3 miles above La Canada but it doesn't get a lot of traffic. It's perfect for a biking workout - 7.5 miles of steady climbing and then 7.5 miles of downhill. Plus you bag a peak.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Got in an 8 mile run (round trip) up this fire road after work yesterday. The skies were hazy, but the weather very nice. The side trail to the Boy Scout tepee was lined with Golden Poppies, the first I've seen in the local mountains this season.

I also discovered a firebreak starting just before you pass the gate from the fire station to start up the road. The fire break is extremely steep, and connects with the fire road at about the 3.5 mile mark.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

The fire road to Lukens sounds like a good one for hill training.
Augie

Post by Augie »

KathyW wrote:The fire road to Lukens sounds like a good one for hill training.
Excellent for hill training. Moderate grade and stretches out for lots of miles. Unfortunately, it's a long ways from Redlands.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Got away from work a little early Friday and drove up to the Angeles Forest Station to do a trail run on the Lukens Fire Road. It was very hot, but I had the whole road to myself. Because of the heat, I only went up 3.5 miles before heading down. I real enjoy the views of Strawberry Peak as you start up this fire road.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, Augie,

Thanks for the post. I've lived under the shadow of Mt. Lukens since 1981 (first La Crescenta, now Tujunga), so I thought I knew the general lay of the land. I guess I don't 'cause I have no idea what this Scout tepee is. Where is this? Is it fairly close to the roadhead?

thanks,

HJ
Augie

Post by Augie »

Jim,

The tepee and overlook are about 1.5 miles from the Fire Station/trailhead. There is another trail there as well dropping into La Canada. At about 2 miles you come to a junction with a trail that drops into La Cresenta. At about 5 miles, there is a junction with the Grizzly Flat Rd that takes you toward Hoyt Mtn. Two more long miles (7 total) gets you to the summit.

I like mountain biking the whole distance to the summit. The ascent is a great workout and then it's 7 miles of downhill! Of course, you have to be careful on the descent. I've taking several spills in the past even when my speed was under control -the sand will grab your front wheel and put you down.

I also like this route because, with the exception of the parking area on the right where you can take that ugly road down into the Arroyo (Gould Mesa Campground) this is the closest trailhead on Angeles Crest Hwy from the bottom of the hill.