Little Lakes Valley

TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

August 26-28 2024
Since my friend and I both survived a few days together earlier in the month I wanted to get her out again to use all the gear she bought this year. Looking at Inyo permits I was surprised to find two spaces available for this area, which I've always said is the best easy hike in the entire Sierra Nevada. This entire trip has some altitude, the highest trailhead in these mountains is Mosquito Flat at over 10k feet. I planned out some short days, giving us lots of time to sit around in the morning and sit around at lakes during the day. I wanted to visit the two Morgan Lakes, having only seen the upper lake on a trip years ago and I also wanted to see the upper Treasure Lakes which are technically off-trail although I read there is an obvious route.
We met at the trailhead at noon on Monday, quickly gathering up the last stuff needed and visiting the last real bathroom for a few days. It was a hot day and we walked slowly up the first little hill, getting a nice high view of Mack Lake. From there the trail descends a bit and runs right next to Marsh and Heart Lakes before once again rising to a vantage point above Box Lake. After a lengthy snack break at Long Lake we wandered on the trail toward Chickenfoot Lake which avoided the long hot hill climb in favor of a short but steep (and shaded) version. Going over 11,120-ft Morgan Pass is interesting as the very wide trail is still a road in this section, it also marked the highest elevation Diane had ever hiked. I thought we could camp at the upper lake but I didn't see enough flat space for two tents, so in the late afternoon sun I kept searching. I did find a nice little area right near an unnamed lake (tarn? pond?) which was covered in grasses - officially not the accepted kind of campsite but it was good enough for a couple of tired hikers. We found enough flat ground there to set up tents and have dinner while watching the sun set on the higher mountains nearby.

Looking up the valley just before Heart Lake
DSC00094.JPG

Long Lake, we had lunch break at the point on the left shore
DSC00103.JPG

Leaving Chickenfoot Lake, Morgan Pass is the lowest point on the left
DSC00110.JPG

Morgan Pass ahead
DSC00112.JPG

Upper Morgan Lake just after going over the pass
DSC00118.JPG

Campsite, sunset happening on the background peaks - the grass was ice-frosted in the morning!
IMG_3069.JPG

In the morning we were in the shade for a long time so we had some hot drinks while waiting for things to warm up a little, then we walked down the trail to the lower Morgan Lake. In case anyone else does this route, there are lots of campsites near this larger body of water. I also found a pair of trekking poles so I packed them out on the rest of the trip. By now the sun was completely out so we walked back up, grabbed our gear and journeyed back over the pass. We took a long lunch and wading and water playing break at the Gem Lakes, which seem to be the most popular spot in the area as plenty of people coming and going. My idea here was to go back to Long Lake and take the trail up again, so we got started in that direction. It was easy going for a while, the trail opening up to a huge meadow with a little stream running through. Shortly we reached a rock field and here the obvious trail disappeared, although I could see occasional footprints in the dirt areas. This was more strenuous route-finding and the nearly 11k elevation didn't help out. After about an hour of this I could tell that Diane was not comfortable and I was not sure how much more of this we would have to ascend so I turned around and got us headed back downhill. The Treasure Lakes will be there next time I visit and it is probably a better hike with a small daypack rather than 30 pounds on my back. We followed a faint trail around Long Lake and then I scouted around to find campsites, fortunately running across a couple flat spots with a view of the lake. Mine was on a bit of slope so I stuck a branch underneath the foot end of my sleeping pad to level things out more. This was another good night of watching the sun set, it was nice to sit around and chat after a full day of sun walking.

Pond just below our campsite which is near the large rock on the right
DSC00128.JPG

Lower Morgan Lake
DSC00134.JPG

Water sports at the Gem Lakes
IMG_4240.jpeg

Upper Gem
DSC00150.JPG

Partway up the rocky section, this was difficult walking as of course some were loose
DSC00164.JPG

Wednesday morning we had some hot chocolate while watching the sun rise, also walking down to the lake shore for more photos. A short walking day beckoned followed by a burger at Toms Place so we packed up without breakfast and headed back down. We took a detour past the inlet of Box Lake and visited a marsh-covered tarn behind before a planned stop at Marsh Lake, where we once again spent plenty of time to get some food and enjoy this view. Since the water was so clear I could see that the lake was only a few feet deep which meant I could walk all the way across it. I kept my shoes on, whenever I stopped the muddy bottom would grab them and it took some effort to shake them loose, so I learned to keep moving. Finally we gathered ourselves for the last mile and walked out, another successful trip into the great wilderness.
Total for three days was about 17 miles and 2000 feet elevation gain.

Morning view of Long Lake from my tent site
DSC00170.JPG

Box Lake, most people pass by on the high trail
DSC00183.JPG

Walking across Marsh Lake
IMG_4281.jpeg

I drove down and spent the night near Bishop, as I had answered a FB request for a ride back south. Thursday morning I drove to Lone Pine where I met up with Ditto and Neats who had finished the JMT on the previous day. They were heading towards LA, wanting to stop at the Burbank REI. I offered the alternative of Arcadia REI which of course is closer to the transit needed for Union Station and I dropped them off there. I think my hiker karma bank might be close to full after this summer...
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda