Winter Boots

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Anyone have any recommendations for winter mountaineering boots for use in the local mountains and fall/spring in the sierras? There is such a wide variety and prices. I think plastic is overkill for the local mountains, and 400+ $$$ on a synthetic boot seems crazy.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I use Scarpa Charmoz's, but I believe they're out of production.

I'm sure a few folks on here will echo how the La Sportiva Trango's are kinda the best for local stuff, and for most mountaineering in general.

If I had to get a new pair (soon... a year or two left), I'd get something with a front bail slot thingy. Mine only has a slot in the back for semi-auto crampons. I have my crampons set up to be rigid enough for mixed climbing without requiring a fully-rigid boot, but still... shouldn't be an issue if you don't intend to do much ice, harder alpine routes, and mixed climbing, I guess.
Zach

Post by Zach »

hvydrt wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for winter mountaineering boots for use in the local mountains and fall/spring in the sierras? There is such a wide variety and prices. I think plastic is overkill for the local mountains, and 400+ $$$ on a synthetic boot seems crazy.
Need help finding a good boot with basically the same criteria as hvydrt, looking for a bit more warmth though as I'm planning on doing some winter ascents at the higher elevations, I have a 10.5 foot size, was wondering if ordering a size larger or smaller was better.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I like La Sportiva. Sizes run true to size. You would need to go to a specialty shop, like REI or A16 and get your foot measured properly. I'm a 10.5, but in European size, this is 43.5 or 44. I bought the 44 and they were perfect.

I have the La Sportiva Karakoram. Not made anymore. I love them. But they are overkill for local mountains.

Here are a couple boots I like for local and Sierra conditions:

La Sportiva Glacier EVO
La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX
Scarpa Charmoz GTX
Garmont Epic Karbo
Lowa Mountain Expert GTX

I believe all these boots here are under $300. I think the Garmont is under $200.

There's many boots, and they all feel different. Find yourself a mail order place that will allow you to return the boots if they don't fit right.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I ended up getting the Lowa Cristallo X Pro on clearance at REI. I don't think they have them anymore though. I tried on about 6 different pairs, and these were the best fit and seemed to be the most durable. So far no complaints. Fit true to size.
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

I've also been looking at the line of Garmont Boots...

the Vetta Light, the Vetta Plus.. etc. . the Vetta (below) is a tad lighter than the La Sportiva Evo S.. a bit less of a technical boot, but still a good all-arounder for peak-aineering.... prob is nobody sells them locally, have to be by mail and all the sizing problems that entails..

simonov

Post by simonov »

Anyone have anything to say about the La Sportiva Makalu?

I am looking for a year-round boot to replace my old Vasques. I like a boot with a shank for summer hikes in the mountains, and wanted to see what folks thought about the La Sportiva Makalu during winter as well.

The La Sportiva Makalu isn't insulated. I've never used an insulated boot (except the rentals I used on Mt Rainier), but my feet can get cold. Is it really worth looking at an insulated boot for year-round use?
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Should be great in SoCal. Winter might be a stretch further north, or here while climbing DURING a storm.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I handled some of these at REI last night. They don't seem to be all that robust compared to what I am used to.

I'm sure they are great on snow and ice, but how about the snow-free approach on rocks and gravelly soil we have here in the San Gabes?
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The Makalu?

My buddy uses them all the time. If it isn't super-stiff, should be OK on approach.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Merrell

Got another pair of chameleons....Saw a bunch of these at the merrell outlet in camarillo last friday....... Way cheaper than the website too
He219

Post by He219 »

Got some new Scarpa Ivernos with Cordura Liners for -- $139.96 lol
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Holy crap!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

any recommendations on snowshoes
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:any recommendations on snowshoes
Get Canadian snowshoes hand made by Huron Indians. Make sure they use Northern Ash for the frames not that synthetic crap. :lol:

Else, try MSR Lightning Ascent or the MSR Denali Evo Ascent
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I just ducktape some tennis rackets to my shoes!!!!

Do you have those MSR's? Are they heavy?
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:I just ducktape some tennis rackets to my shoes!!!!

I dont have the MSR's, but a friend had them and I borrowed the EVO's a couple times and they were pretty awesome. For deep/soft snow, the EVO's have a 6" or 8" extension.

As far as weight between the Lightning and EVo's, there is only a couple ounces in favor of the Lightning.

You're buffed legs can handle'em.
Socalhiker

Post by Socalhiker »

edenooch wrote:I just ducktape some tennis rackets to my shoes!!!!

Now I know what to do with those old tennis rackets. :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

COUGHlearntoskiorsplitboardCOUGH
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Real men post hole anyway.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Smart men save up and buy splitboards, so they can have fun when there's no more "up" left on a mountain. 8)
norma r

Post by norma r »

LOVE IT! snow, snow, can't wait for SNOW! :D
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

I liked what I read about the Salewah Raven Combi GTX, and bought them for winter stuff. My feet stayed dry and warm the whole day, and I was very comfortable in them until I had my mishap on the Bear Flat trail. :oops:

They were also $60 off from OMC ($229) when I got them, making them a far better deal than the La Sportiva Trango's. Keep a sharp eye out for that deal again, from them, or elsewhere.

http://gearjunkie.com/salewa-raven-combi-gtx
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I love my Lowa Mountain Expert's, but most of the time they are overkill for the winter in So Cal and the spring in the Sierra - they are great in the Cascades.

I need a boot with a wide toe box - the Lowa's are good like that.

For winter in So Cal and spring in the Sierra, I've been wearing Kayland MXT's - They replaced a pair of La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX's that killed my feet. The Kayland MXT's have the same sole as the La Sportiva (the one thing I liked about the La Sportiva's), are less expensive, and have wider toe boxes. I picked up a second pair of the Kayland's when I saw them on sale for $59 somewhere; so I'm set for a long time.

The nice thing about Mountaineering boots is that they last a long time - in the end they are not anymore expensive than lightweight hiking shoes or boots with soft and more flexible soles.