20081029 Falling Rock Canyon - Buttcrack

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I was bored and had time off before work, so I went for a drive and climb.

Went up Buttcrack, a route Fritz put up a while ago which is a 5.6 or so. Fun route on typical rock. 8) Brought a bailout kit, which is just some cord, webbing for a harness, a couple biners, and a rap ring. Didn't use anything so just free solo'ed it as Fritz did on the FA. :lol:

Looking at the main ridge on the west side of Sheep Canyon

FRC Crag

Climbing

Heading over to the south end of the crag to inspect it for chopped bolts...

...two chopped bolts. :-( I don't know why they chopped them, as it's just a lone sport climb in the middle of nowhere. So very very few people climb around here that I don't see how anyone would get pissed at ethics over it. That, and it ain't exactly an easily protectable route.

Another cool section for next time.

Tree

Baldizzle

The squirting spring is a trickle now. :(

Looking at "Kimchi Ridge", as I call it, from the parking lot.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I don't know why they chopped them, as it's just a lone sport climb in the middle of nowhere. So very very few people climb around here that I don't see how anyone would get pissed at ethics over it. That, and it ain't exactly an easily protectable route.
Maybe Halhiker was up there and couldn't find any ducks to break up.
Nunc est bibendum

Post by 406 »

cool nice stuff.

This one looks fun, about how tall?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

simonov wrote:
I don't know why they chopped them, as it's just a lone sport climb in the middle of nowhere. So very very few people climb around here that I don't see how anyone would get pissed at ethics over it. That, and it ain't exactly an easily protectable route.
Maybe Halhiker was up there and couldn't find any ducks to break up.
Something on the San G boards I reckon?

406, around 70 feet or so. It slants left, is probably 70-90 degrees. My pictures didn't come out so great as I wasn't using the camera right. It looked kinda cool.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

So do you use ropes on this stuff, or just helmet?

I'd look at it and say, oh I can just climb up with just a helmet, but I'm pretty dumb.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:Maybe Halhiker was up there and couldn't find any ducks to break up.
Haven't heard from Ol' Hal lately. My guess is that he went on a hike, kicked all the ducks over as he went along and couldn't find his way back! :lol:
I would like to see him kick one of those bolts. The ones that are still in the rock. Real hard like! :wink:
simonov

Post by simonov »

TacoDelRio wrote: Something on the San G boards I reckon?
San J board this time.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Joseph, no helmet or rope, just a super small rack in case one has to rappel around an obstacle like a bad dryfall, which takes forever to downclimb (like last time).

A helmet is kinda useful in FRC. :lol: