creeks with minnow fishing pools?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Howdy folks,

My son Forest's latest obsession is exploring pools for little minnows, crawfish and other interesting critters. I am VERY in support of this hobby! Its proven to be a lot of fun.

Our go-to destination has been Tujunga Creek, and we've just about explored all of its possible pools below the reservoir to Hansen Dam in a series of very fun expeditions.

I want to know if there are any recommendations for other spots that will have pools with minnows and little critters this time of the year, that would be *reasonably* accessible for an adventurous 4 year old and their father who is happy to get off the beaten path?

proximity to the San Fernando Valley is always appreciated!

IMG_4356.jpg
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Probably wrong time of year. You might try Aliso (Zelzah) or Limekiln (Tampa). Those are 'park' and have good trail networks, cross the creeks a few times, always have frogs singing in the eve. West end of Vanowen, the 'south fork' of Bell Canyon, might have some. There are huge water tanks on the hill, and they're always drooling a bit.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Tom Kenney wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:49 am Probably wrong time of year. You might try Aliso (Zelzah) or Limekiln (Tampa). Those are 'park' and have good trail networks, cross the creeks a few times, always have frogs singing in the eve. West end of Vanowen, the 'south fork' of Bell Canyon, might have some. There are huge water tanks on the hill, and they're always drooling a bit.
This time of the year has less water, but the pools that do exist are more likely to have cool critters.

I know Aliso and Limekiln canyons well. I will check if they still have running water. Haven't explored Bell Canyon yet but will check that one out!

Forest and I were fishing in a random man-made pond next to the parking lot of a California Pizza kitchen on Sunday. We caught more than like 50 little minnows! So much fun!
IMG_4431.jpg