Tempi'po'op Trail

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Ok, last one from Southern Utah. Since this trail is about a half mile from where I've been staying, I hit this after work when I don't have or can't take more time. This is an easy trail that traverses the cliff ledge above the Santa Clara River for a couple of miles. The attraction here, aside from just the pleasantness of the place, is the numerous petroglyphs left here by the Ancestral Puebloans and Southern Paiutes the used to call this land home (Tempi'po'op means "rock writing" in the Southern Paiute language). This is a point-point-trail that you can access from the Anasazi Valley Trailhead located at 37.16321,-113.70331 or the Upper Graveyard Trailhead located at 37.13714,-113.66977 (you can also access the trail from the Tukupetsi Trailhead at 37.13542,-113.67218). I always start from the Upper Graveyard Trailhead since it is the closest to me.

From the unattractive trailhead, follow the Upper Graveyard Trail for 0.3 of a mile. Here, the Fishhook Trail (which begins at the Tukupetsi Trailhead) joins from the left. Continue for another 0.2 of a mile as the path arcs slightly counter-clockwise to the junction with a Tempi'po'op Trail. Turn west (right) here and follow the trail as far as you desire. Ignore the Lower Graveyard and Cholla trails that split off to the north.

For the most part, the trail hugs the cliff edge as it climbs gently to the high point Land Hill. Take your time as you go and keep your eyes open for rock art as it scattered all along ridgeline (mostly on the black rock along the edge which has a patina of desert varnish). Some of the art is on the cliff face itself which begs the question of how it was actually created in the first place. Either the geology has changed since the art was created or the native peoples were skilled at unaided climbing.

Here's a couple of pics.
17_Temp.jpg
18_Temp.jpg
19_Temp.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I think that one symbol indicates a Bigfoot sighting.