2022-06-04: Altadena foothill stroll

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I started at the Altadena Crest Trail Tanoble Trailhead and wandered westward over to the Gooseberry Motorway. Went up that to the water tank, then took the Old Edison Road up to the Lone Tree Trail at the first set of power line towers. Then down the Lone Tree to Gooseberry and back to Tanoble trailhead. A few miles and probably about 1000' gain. All on well maintained trails (thanks to the chain gangs out on the trails, including Sean et al.). I actually had forgotten that it was the first Saturday of the month and was momentarily surprised when I saw the gang on the Gooseberry doing some hard work. I had met Sean in the same location a couple of weeks previously so we had a short chat. Nice to meet you Sean!

I haven't "hiked" for about 9 years (which was the last time I went up the Lone Tree Trail in 2013) so I was re-discovering the muscles and joints that are used while going up then down then up then down. As expected, the downhill hurt the most. Invigorating. I'm recovering from cancer surgery/treatments as well as retiring this year so I am hopefully gonna get back into the San Gabriels a lot more in the future. Also somewhat motivated by the idea of finding the elusive wild San Gabriel trail grilled cheese sammy.

Random pics:

Tanoble Trailhead...
20220604_074716.jpg
Tanoble again...
20220604_074725.jpg
Water tank, filled to the brim...
20220604_085206.jpg
Towers at the Lone Tree/Old Edison junction...
20220604_090052.jpg
Halfway down the Lone Tree there is a junction with a trail that heads down into Rubio Cyn that will drop down to the cyn just below ruins.
20220604_090700.jpg
Oh, just for fun, here are some Corgis (Sadie - top left, Stella - top right and Finn - the stupid boy dog in front)...
IMG_4228.JPG
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Yeah, it was nice seeing you on the trails. Congrats on getting back to hiking! Beautiful dogs. Have you seen The Queen's Corgi? It was worth a Redbox rental.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Right on! HikeUp is hiking up again!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Happy to hear you are back on the trails again. I hope your recovery goes well. Nature can provide amazing healing effects.
Next time you are near the towers look for the two beach chairs that Jeremiah hid in the bushes. You can take a break and admire the scenery.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

We can meet up for Sammies just about any time..... Maybe even with beer chasers.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda