Trail Canyon Update

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

This Sunday I did my annual check up to see how Trail Canyon is doing and if any work has been done on it. The section up to the waterfall was a predictable zoo as everyone now knows about it. Once above the waterfall I heard one group by the water and passed two hikers but otherwise it was quiet. The section from the waterfall up to the switchbacks is bushier than before but all easily passable with pants. From the top of the switchbacks the trail is in much better shape to the old camp, work has clearly been done to this section. I could not find the campsite equipment which appears to be lost to the growth again. However someone has continued working through some tough cutting for about another 1/3 of a mile upstream which wasn't there before. The last 100 feet got brushier and then work abruptly ends. There is a section that has been cleared that allows you to climb slightly out of the canyon to what appears to be a graded section that may have been old trail but it is completely overgrown if you try to head back down to the canyon. I believe I heard that they were trying to cut from the top so not sure if we may be close to completion on this project or if this will be the project that never gets completed.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I drove past the TH last weekend and saw what looked like 100 cars. What a pity...

I hiked to Tom Lucas and beyond a few months ago when the waterfall was still dry and the hoards weren't there. Funny you mention pants, I came across a guy in the overgrown area in shorts with bloody legs.

Here's my route: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... tc-3677481
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, there is/was a crew working on this, I believe from the top, but I haven't been keeping up with their progress. There is another semi-secret project ongoing right now which should be announced later this year. If you follow me on Facebook you already know about it. Good news for hikers in the Tujunga area!