Mt. Bliss: 10-04-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Needed to get some miles in so I took a hike up to Mt. Bliss on an overcast day with off and on rain/drizzle. This is a peak notorious for being a miserably hot hike therefore it was a good day to beat the heat. The short way up (3000' in about 4.5 miles one way) is from the south via the Van Tassel Road. The long way up (2900' in about 7.25 miles one way) is from Monrovia Canyon Park via Sawpit Canyon to White Saddle and south to the peak.

I took the long way up via Sawpit Canyon where someone has fairly recently put up some nice informative trail signs...

Saw some deer (including a nice buck who was too well hidden to get a pic of)...

There were entries in the peak register dating back to March of 1999 (damn near ancient history). Noticed a familiar name in the register...

Views were non existent today due to the low clouds. Here's a 360 degree panorama from the peak (okay not really a panorama but it would be hard to tell the difference)...

On a side note, there must of been one or more very incontinent bears in the area - I saw at least 20 huge piles of scat on the road/trail.

That is all.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

PRETTY COOL. Never heard a the place.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

At least the bears are regular. Guess it beats being stopped-up.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Cool report! I passed that Mt. Bliss many times from mountain bike, and didn't know there was a register!

Since the Van Tassels is not popular hiking trail, you almost guarantee to see some wild animal on that trail. Bob cats, sheep, mountain lion were a few that I encountered (and hunters with crossbow).
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Calicokid-

You saw bighorn sheep near Mt Bliss???
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I loved the panorama, real or simulated. I promise to not complain about visibility unless it's that bad.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's a truer picture of visibility...

I like the register entry above mine...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Very cool signs. I'm going to have to get up that way again and check 'em out.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Mike P wrote:Calicokid-

Mike! I saw one on the ridge near White Saddle as I rode on the bike. The sheep flew down the steep slope at amazing speed.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

thanks for sharing....impressive intrepretation boards. Lets hope they stay that way and not go the way of others.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

calicokid wrote:
Mike P wrote:Calicokid-

Mike! I saw one on the ridge near White Saddle as I rode on the bike. The sheep flew down the steep slope at amazing speed.
Wow! Thanks.

I didn't think that they were in that area