Mount Gleason Road

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I hiked the PCT around Pacifico Mountain today, and on my way back home, I noticed that the gate at Mount Gleason Rd was open. Does anyone know if it's back open for good? Or maybe it was just open temporarily for service?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Trailforks report

Apparently it's open in a normal seasonal way? I haven't been in a few weeks, but noticed they'd been doing grading on the western side, including brushwork on Moody Cyn. This could also be temporary to spread out traffic since the Bobcat closure area is normally high-traffic.

This would be a good time to drive up there with a bunch of water/etc for caches, eh? I'm considering doing just that, since I plan to resume bike touring activities and this is on one of my routes.

EDIT: clarification
jfr

Post by jfr »

I hiked up Moody Canyon Road back in February, and the buckthorn (whitethorn) was seriously overgrown in many spots. I hope your car doesn't have a good paint job!

In April I spoke with the caretaker at the North Fork Ranger Station and he indicated that they might be opening things up soon, as it's been five years or so since the last fire out that way.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

jfr wrote: In April I spoke with the caretaker at the North Fork Ranger Station and he indicated that they might be opening things up soon, as it's been five years or so since the last fire out that way.
All the recent grading work, and an upgraded loo at Messenger Flat CG would support this. Thanks!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Tom Kenney wrote:
jfr wrote: In April I spoke with the caretaker at the North Fork Ranger Station and he indicated that they might be opening things up soon, as it's been five years or so since the last fire out that way.
All the recent grading work, and an upgraded loo at Messenger Flat CG would support this. Thanks!
Loo?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Anthony wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote:All the recent grading work, and an upgraded loo at Messenger Flat CG would support this. Thanks!
Loo?
Privy, outhouse, commode, wc, Unincorporated Department of Sanitation...OK, now I'm trying for 'Python'-esque. :)

loo = s#!++er
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Tom Kenney wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote:All the recent grading work, and an upgraded loo at Messenger Flat CG would support this. Thanks!
Loo?
Privy, outhouse, commode, wc, Unincorporated Department of Sanitation...OK, now I'm trying for 'Python'-esque. :)

loo = s#!++er
?
Sean

Post by Sean »

My prayers have been answered! Gonna get me some Gleason ASAP.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Keep an eye out for the cow bell. It was there Jan 11, 2009...
IMG_2726.jpg
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

The Santa Clara Divide Rd (3N17) is open at Bear Divide also. Looks like all of 3N17, from Three Points to Wilson Canyon Saddle is currently open.
scielinski

Post by scielinski »

I saw Anthony's post about the road being opened and headed out Saturday to see if i could cross Gleason off the list without a 22 mile ride in.

Road is fully open, and pretty good condition. Pretty wide for most of it all the way to Gleason, no real issues with brush scrapes.

Walked up to Gleason, ran in to another guy in a Jeep who said you can just push the gate open at Gleason and drive right up. Very quiet peak, lots of birds and some nice lupins....but unfortunately the one thing the peak needs is more cowbell. Doesn't look like that made it through.

Traveled down to Mendenhall Ridge to bag Iron #2 since that was now much more accessible. Much tighter road and some rocks and trees that were a bit sketchy in my volvo crossover, but i've seen worse in ANF.

Was shocked to find another car at the closed gate...and it ends up being Anthony! Had a nice peak, (good views relatively non-descript otherwise) and hot fire road walk back to the car. Thanks for the company Anthony and the original tip about the road. Catch you on the trails again soon.

I've been a long time lurker here, thanks for all the great trail reports everyone.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

scielinski wrote: I saw Anthony's post about the road being opened and headed out Saturday to see if i could cross Gleason off the list without a 22 mile ride in.

Road is fully open, and pretty good condition. Pretty wide for most of it all the way to Gleason, no real issues with brush scrapes.

Walked up to Gleason, ran in to another guy in a Jeep who said you can just push the gate open at Gleason and drive right up. Very quiet peak, lots of birds and some nice lupins....but unfortunately the one thing the peak needs is more cowboy. Doesn't look like that made it through.

Traveled down to Mendenhall Ridge to bag Iron #2 since that was now much more accessible. Much tighter road and some rocks and trees that were a bit sketchy in my volvo crossover, but i've seen worse in ANF.

Was shocked to find another car at the closed gate...and it ends up being Anthony! Had a nice peak, (good views relatively non-descript otherwise) and hot fire road walk back to the car. Thanks for the company Anthony and the original tip about the road. Catch you on the trails again soon.

I've been a long time lurker here, thanks for all the great trail reports everyone.
Welcome a-board!