Rattlesnake Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I've been dealing with some health issues (not COVID) but I'm back to normal and embarked on my first "hard" hike of the year on Sunday: Rattlesnake Peak. My buddy and I took the main route from Shoemaker Canyon Road. It was my first trip to Rattlesnake. We didn't have any issues with overgrowth or heat, two things I've seen people mention in TRs. Cloud cover kept us cool and we lucked out with some clearing of the skies when we hit the peak. It was fun, though relentless. The view at the summit might be one of the best I've seen in the Gabes. The register box might also be one of the best boxes I've ever seen. It was full of snacks. I'd like to come back but go down one of the northern ridges to the East Fork (as seen in one of Pharraoh's vids).
443e4aa0-3859-4df3-a34c-bcd796f03057.jpg
IMG_4914.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4939.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG
IMG_4945.JPG
IMG_4948.JPG
IMG_4954.JPG
IMG_3902.jpg
Taco

Post by Taco »

Is Pharraoh on here? I follow his YouTube channel and have wondered if he's on here. He took a ridge down into EF? Know which one?

My buddy and I descended the canyon after the second tunnel down to EF once. Ten rappels or so. Would imagine the ridge just north of it would be the ticket but they all seem like a lotta bushwhacking.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Taco wrote: Is Pharraoh on here? I follow his YouTube channel and have wondered if he's on here. He took a ridge down into EF? Know which one?

My buddy and I descended the canyon after the second tunnel down to EF once. Ten rappels or so. Would imagine the ridge just north of it would be the ticket but they all seem like a lotta bushwhacking.
I don't think so. I think he's only on YT.

My mistake; he didn't go down to East Fork from the peak. He went down the east ridge back to Shoemaker Canyon Rd. Here's the vid: (around 38 min mark is when they go down)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Gracias.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Beautiful pics!.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Rattlesnake is a good test. I still need to do the east ridge some day. I've seen GPS tracks on two different ribs on the east side. There is supposed to be a half decent use trail.