Stone Canyon Trail to Lukens Update

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

Prior to the Station Fire this trail had been maintained by Matt Maxon where apparently it had fallen into disrepair prior to his involvement. Some of my favorite quick jaunts were zipping up Stone Canyon in the early 2000s and running down. It allowed for a sub 3 hour hike with over 3,000 feet elevation gain within a half hour of my house. After the Station Fire the trail has fallen into such disrepair and brushiness to make it an unpleasant experience. I have avoided the area partly because of this and being so disappointed in its shape and remembering how nice the trail used to be. It had been a while since I had gone up so I decided to do a loop via Grizzly Flats. The last two times I had been up here the first third of the trail had been worked but nothing after that where the real unpleasantness had been. Imagine my surprise seeing the entire route cut and more importantly the tread of the trail fixed. It has been over a decade since the trail has been in as good shape as it is currently in. The work had just been completed in February and it is so great to say one of the best trails in the front range is now in such great shape. To make a day even better the route from Grizzly Flats to Big Tujunga has also been worked with all the brushiness cleared even though the tread is still slumped but still awesome. I'll be back here a lot now, thanks to the crew they did an awesome and a real professional job.
dima

Post by dima »

Thanks for the update. Do you know who worked on it?
David R

Post by David R »

dima wrote: Thanks for the update. Do you know who worked on it?
SoCal Hikers and Trail Builders.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Matt has been working on this trail again, fixing some tread and debrushing.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: Matt has been working on this trail again, fixing some tread and debrushing.
Cool. This trail was one of the first ones I did here in SoCal. Matt is awesome.