New Year's Stroll on the 39

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean

Post by Sean »

For New Year's Cecelia and I drove up San Gabriel Canyon to the closed gate. She had never been on the 39 above Crystal Lake. So we gathered our cold-weather gear, a couple snacks and some water, and off we went up the road. We started mid-morning. There were only a few other cars in the large parking area at that time. In fact we only saw one other person hiking up the road.

The 39 was mostly clear of snow for the first mile beyond the gate, this section being south-facing.

DSC05697.JPG

A dirt side road led up to Smith water tank and a huge firebreak.

DSC05782.JPG

Around a mile into the trip the route turned northward. Here snow and ice blanketed the road in the shadier parts.

DSC05765.JPG

Despite a sign indicating sheep for the next several miles, we saw no wildlife. A couple deer had left tracks in the snow, and I think this is a fox print.

DSC05770.JPG

The liveliest thing along this road, aside from Cecelia, was the rocky cliff above us, which occasionally sent boulders bouncing down to the road. This probably isn't the safest stroll to take right after a big storm.

DSC05748.JPG

Other than a short stretch of foot-deep slushishness, and bouts of ice patches, the walk was very easy.

DSC05762.JPG

At Snow Spring we noticed a wildlife camera placed by Caltrans Biology. We continued to the next bend in the road, about four miles from the start, and made this our summit for the day. There were two more miles left to Islip Saddle, but I figured they would be harder miles as the snow coverage was increasing and nobody had made boot tracks for us this far up the road. Also we hadn't brought enough food for a twelve-mile snow hike.

At the bend we found a dry spot to sit at a turnout with a view of the gleaming Pacific Ocean.

DSC05755.JPG

We tried to dry out Cecelia's soaked socks and use some expired chemical warmers on her freezing toes. Our efforts mostly went unrewarded by nature. I told Cecelia to invest in some cheap waterproof boots. Fifty bucks or less at Big 5! They're worth it.

A couple interesting features of this road are the stone and mortar retaining walls

DSC05746.JPG

and this little structure

DSC05769.JPG

which might be a sort of emergency shelter since there was nothing inside but a small bench.

Due to the recent Bobcat Fire, much of the scenery included absolutely barren wasteland between the road and the canyon bottoms.

DSC05726.JPG

By the time we meandered back to the car it was mid-afternoon and the place was now a zoo full of families playing in the snow.

DSC05793.JPG
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Fun hike. I probably will invest in some water proof shoes.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I noticed the ocean view too, it was a great day for that!

You’ll want gaiters with the waterproof shoes, else walking through deep snow is just leaking water into the shoe.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I have gaiters. The thing was I was prepared with gaiters and microspikes but left everything in the car. Next time I won't listen to Sean when he says oh you won't need them.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Nice!

RE: sheep, I've seen them twice, closer to Islip Saddle. One decided to kick a huge boulder down at me!

RE: retaining walls/guard walls, near Islip Saddle, there are some that are about 40m/140ft high. Lovely old construction!

RE: little structure, it's an old spigot hut. There was a cistern just above it. You can see a remnant of the access road if you look close - it cuts left (north) from the little hut, then right and up into the trees where it disappears. IIRC, there is a spring in or above the hut, and reliable water until late fall.