Webb and Marshall Canyons

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

On Thursday I went up to Icehouse Canyon with the neighbors and picked up trash, we hauled out six bags although the place looked better than I expected based on recent Facebook photos. That didn't really count as a hike since we barely got past the dirt parking lot for cabin residents.
I suppose this one is barely in the San Gabriels, this was our #optoutside on Friday after Thanksgiving. Going from home we walked up the paved Webb Canyon Road, which turns into the paved Miller Ranch Road, and then finally hit the dirt Stephens Ranch Road. From there we took the trail down Marshall Canyon, dodging the occasional mountain biker but mostly enjoying a fantastic selection of Live Oak trees. After a while we could hear the sounds of the small creek flowing and we stayed on the trail all the way into La Verne. Of course this meant another three mile road walk back home which was the hardest part. It was still hot even for late November and I couldn't talk Karen into walking down to McDonalds for a cold Coke and a bus ride home.

AllTrails claimed this to be about 10 miles with over a thousand feet of elevation gain.

IMG_7777.jpg
I think this is the beginning of Miller Ranch Road.

IMG_7778.jpg
I have yet to figure out what the 4902 is for. First I thought it was an address but it's not on any of the three houses on this road.

IMG_7779.jpg
After some down-and-up walking we get to this nice clearing, off to the left is the upper part of Marshall Canyon.

IMG_7788.jpg
Upper part of Marshall Canyon trail, the shade was a nice change.

IMG_7791.jpg
Trail junction near the water towers.

IMG_7793.jpg
This time we walked under Esperanza Drive and kept going downhill. We reached Baseline Road only another block from Esperanza and had a much nicer walk.

IMG_2862.jpg
I found this cool rope to swing on for a while.

IMG_7794.jpg
Of course more Live Oak trees. This was a nice section with picnic tables and families out walking.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 6.30.43 PM.png
AllTrails version of the hike. Probably my first track with uphill on every mile.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

The sign says 4972 and there is a 4972 Webb Canyon Rd. It's a 50-acre estate called Trails End Ranch. Could that be it?
Sean

Post by Sean »

I see. The ranch is actually at the top of Miller Ranch Rd on Google, but the mailing address is down on Webb Canyon Rd.