Akawie Peak - 19-JUL-2020

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Wife and I took a mellow stroll up by Buckhorn CG on Sunday. We went to 'Akawie Peak' 2220m/7326ft. This is the large 'centerpiece' between Buckhorn CG and Cooper Canyon. The route follows a network of abandoned roads, starting at the second north-side turnout on CA-2 east of Mt Waterman ski lift. There is a (now smashed) yellow gate across the start of the old roadbed.

The road climbs northeastward, passes a right branch (end of the loop), and goes up to a saddle behind the smaller bump adjacent the highway. At the saddle, the road continues around the west side of the peak and loops back to the east side, joining below the saddle again. The use trail to the summit leaves the saddle to continue directly up the ridge, at a mellow grade with steep sections. The summit is flat with rock outcrops on the edges, similar to nearby Waterman. It's a very pleasant place, peaceful despite the proximity to the highway. There's plenty of shade, but only limited views unless you climb one of the rock piles.

For the return, we chose to take the loop road. I'd investigated this loop many years ago, and it was interesting to see the changes. Some of the road is now gone to washouts, but the use trail links these sections nicely. There are some springs on the east-facing stretch that are mostly dry now, but one still had plenty of standing water in a tiny meadow.

We only saw a few other people along the way. Coincidentally, we passed by an artist we'd previously seen painting at Grassy Hollow last year. He was sitting on a rock 30m from the trail, facing more forest, since there wasn't much view where he was positioned. We weren't close enough to see his work, and felt it would be rude to approach (or even speak!), so we passed quietly.

This is a very pleasant outing. The forest on the north sides is very pretty, and most of the time it has a nice remote feel....highly recommended!

APPROX STAT: 5km / 370m (3.2mi / 1220ft)

Sorry for the lack of pics. I brought my good camera, but there just wasn't anything but forest to shoot, and I was quite content to wander and absorb some peace.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I've only been once but it was a nice stroll. I'd like to snowshoe it some time.