Double Delight Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm a few weeks behind on my trip reports, so I'll get one out now before I go out tomorrow.

I hit Double Delight Peak for the first time two weekends ago with some friends. After researching various routes, I settled on taking the SW ridge from Three Points.

We headed out from the parking lot at around 9am and it was already pretty hot. After about a mile on the Twin Peaks Saddle Trail, we encountered a cairn at a small saddle. We left the trail and got onto the ridge heading NE. The use trail was faint and not always followable. However, the route follows the ridge (and San Gabriel Wilderness boundary) so navigation was never an issue.

After a couple of false summits, all of which had giant piles of boulders on them, we made it to the large and relatively flat summit. Right before reaching it, we encountered an older man. He told us that he had ascended Double Delight from the large parking lot near Camp Glenwood, descended the south side to a creek that crosses the Twin Peaks Saddle Trail, and then came back up to the summit where we saw him.

After cooling off in the shade and drying out my shirt, which was drenched in sweat, we headed back down the ridge. We made good time and saw a deer and a fawn on the way back.

It was a great outing, although next time I'll be leaving earlier in the morning or going on a cooler day...

Recording: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... ht-ce78d1d
Up the ridge
Up the ridge
Devil's Canyon
Devil's Canyon
Waterman
Waterman
Mojave
Mojave
Twin Peaks
Twin Peaks
Down the ridge
Down the ridge
Twin Peaks Saddle Trail
Twin Peaks Saddle Trail
Devil's Canyon
Devil's Canyon
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Cool! I was actually just looking at this peak on the map the other day and reading other people's TRs. Seems like a fun little ridge hike. I'll wait until cooler weather lol. Hows the rest of the ridge up to Mt Waterman look? Is it just more of the same type of terrain/vegetation?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

ReFreshing wrote: Hows the rest of the ridge up to Mt Waterman look? Is it just more of the same type of terrain/vegetation?
Actually it opens up even more and is a very casual walk up to Waterman. Make a loop of it and return via the Twin Peaks Saddle-to-3-points trail.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

HikeUp wrote:
ReFreshing wrote: Hows the rest of the ridge up to Mt Waterman look? Is it just more of the same type of terrain/vegetation?
Actually it opens up even more and is a very casual walk up to Waterman. Make a loop of it and return via the Twin Peaks Saddle-to-3-points trail.
Yeah, the ridge widens when you get to Double. You can see it in one of my pics.

I think I’ll try that loop some time. Sounds fun.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

That's a fun way to Waterman. Avoid it during hunting season though.