Triplet Rocks from the South. Possible?

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

Maybe. Not easily. So a month ago I was looking at Triplet Rocks from West Mermaid. Below and West of the peak is a rock field that would be easy to climb. And looking at the topos, the gully leading up to it looks to be friendlier than all the others around it. Could that be part of a usable approach from the South? Yesterday wesweswes and I found out.

The route would be to enter West Fork Bear Creek. Again. And to branch off into the ascent gully shortly after its mouth. According to the topos, the slopes should be manageable most of the way, with two questionable areas where the gully narrows and steepens: starting just above the mouth at 2400ft and again, starting at 3200ft. This is good: we'd find out if the route is viable early on. I should also note that for whatever reason, the USGS topos don't show the blue line in this gully above 3000ft. So it's easy to miss for somebody using the topos to plan a route.

We walked up Bear Creek in the morning. Noticeably less water than the last time. If one was really careful it maybe would actually be possible to get to West Fork Bear Creek with dry socks. For me, the very first rock I stepped on at the first crossing gave way, so it wasn't to be.

The gully mouth looks like this:

There's far more water here than I thought there would be. It's flowing really well, which isn't what I wanted to see. True to the topos, a waterfall appears immediately

There's an easy dirt bypass on the left. From above:

This gully is VERY true to the topos: lots of waterfalls one right after the other. And it's a very rocky area, with most of the falls dropping into nice, big pools. This is pretty, but makes bypasses difficult. A series of teacups sits above the first falls. We took a wide bypass on the right. wesweswes disliked it so much that he somehow downclimbed this waterfall face on the return. Between each of the falls is a decent use trail, probably from deer. The bypasses are quite sketchy however. Eventually it became clear that we were making such slow progress that this approach would take forever IF it was even possible: at any point we could hit an un-bypassable waterfall, and there were lots of them ahead. So at only ~2850ft at a questionably-safe traverse we decided to call it. The last two waterfalls:

To underscore the point, at the first traverse on the descent, the slope I was standing on collapsed, and I took an unintended swim. My altimeter didn't make it. Just paid an extra $4 to get a new, waterproof one. To add to the terrain challenges, there's thick poison oak absolutely everywhere, and in the gully you're moving through it constantly. If one is dedicated, this route could work, but it isn't any better an approach than the already-known ones.

We descended back to West Fork Bear Creek, claimed a pickaxe and a pot from the abandoned camp there, and walked out. There are cool flowers all over the gully and Bear Creek:

And there're lots of cool frogs that look exactly like the rocks they sit on

And cool caterpillars

And I saw another Great Blue Heron, I think. If I don't see West Fork Bear Creek again in the near future, that would be just fine.
wesweswes

Post by wesweswes »

Alternate report: Dima and I were trying to figure out how allergic to poison oak we are, so we decided to go on this fine hike up the river. The first few miles are super pretty and we saw some poison oak, but not enough, so we pressed onwards, going up an obscure canyon where we heard tall tales of bear shit, drug traffickers, and lots of our favorite plant. The traverses were "fun" in that they included lots of loose dirt, fracturing rock, and some exposure which would lead to a bonus swim in pretty pools at the bases of numerous waterfalls. At some point the fun became too much for me when (oops!) I realized I was holding on to poison oak roots to attempt a jaw clenching traverse up a waterfalls slope with a potential 25ft slide/fall. Next time (just kidding) I'll be bringing some climbing webbing for these little doozies. Backup prize: at narco camp nearby I found a sweet mexican made lifetime-guarantee pickaxe--score! There's one more lying in wait for our next lucky contestant.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Sounds like one of those adventures where you aren't really sure if you had fun or not once it's all over! A worthy bit of exploration because it would be pretty cool to find more semi-reasonable routes to Triplets, but that kind of bushwhack/waterfall route usually isn't worth the hassle.

Is this the pick you brought home?

20180329_164130.jpg
wesweswes

Post by wesweswes »

Much fun was had, and some very pretty hiking along the creek and in checking out those waterfalls, but would not try it again to get to the triplets! That is the one. Decided to leave the sprayer for someone else.

Also, I just realize that caterpillar looks like the same one that is eating my dill in my garden... hmmmm
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow! Sounds like a cool adventure with a price. I would be interested in those waterfalls but not sure if its worth the struggle. Thanks for the cool pics of the frogs.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

wesweswes wrote: Also, I just realize that caterpillar looks like the same one that is eating my dill in my garden... hmmmm
Guess you should have taken the sprayer instead of the pickaxe. ?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice exploration. With these things, you don't know until you go.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the reports! Classic San Gabe canyon climbing right there.