Santa Rosa Wilderness

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tallsquirrel

Post by tallsquirrel »

A friend of mine engaged in some non-essential travel to go on a backpack trip last weekend. I told him he is very naughty and made him promise never to do it again until this whole virus thing is over, even if his wife and kids are driving him crazy. Anyway, he did a one night trip in the Santa Rosa Wilderness, one of the more obscure wilderness areas in SoCal. It's right off Hwy 74 in the Santa Rosa Mountains above Palm Desert. My friend parked at the Sawmill trailhead and as he had hoped there was no one there. He signed into the register (no permit required) and headed down the Cactus Spring Trail.
P4110001.JPG

It was right after all the rain we got earlier this month and it was very cold and damp. Water everywhere. Streams running through every gully and wash, including parts of the trail. It was clear this is normally a very hot, dry place and my friend was seeing it at a very special time.
P4110008.JPG

The wildflowers were popping!
P4110028.JPG
P4110052.JPG
After passing through several drainages my friend crossed Horsethief Creek (2.5 miles in). It was pretty full but passable. He is told it runs year round.
P4110041.JPG
The climb out of the canyon was pretty steep, but soon enough he was on his way to Little Pinyon Flat where the views opened up.
P4110063.JPG
My friend arrived at the location of Cactus Spring, 5 miles from the start. Even after all this rain there was no water. I would say the spring is effectively dry and should never be depended upon. What was my friend to do then? Go back 2.5 miles and drop down to Horsethief Creek? Uggh! No, there was a much better way. He went cross-country about 1 mile south to upper Horsethief Creek. It was pretty flat and open enough to avoid the scattered ribbonwood and pinyon pines. He was rewarded with life saving water and a dip in upper Horsethief Creek.
P4110080.JPG
The sun came out for the afternoon and my friend was very glad it was a cool day. There is absolutely no shade on the trail or at camp. It would be very unpleasant at the wrong time of year. If you go here, be like my friend and come on a cloudy winter or spring day.

Sunset at camp:
P4110094.JPG
My friend read that there is a Cahuilla village site somewhere in the area. He searched around but did not see any mortreros or other remains. Lots of hoof prints and poop everywhere. Not sure if they were deer or bighorn sheep. Thought for sure he would hear something at night, but not a peep was made. He did see some jackrabbits and quail the next day when he went about 4 miles further down the Cactus Spring trail. After rounding the base of Martinez Mountain the country got very rough. He kept loosing the trail and decided to turn back.

San Jacinto Peak from afar:
P4120097.JPG
The hike back from Cactus Springs is only 5 miles, but all the ups and downs make it tougher that you might think. It was cool and sunny that afternoon. Still plenty of water.

Seasonal waterfall:
P4120156.JPG
What a great trip! If your wife and kids are driving you crazy, be like my friend and go somewhere where no one else is, at least until this virus thing is over.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. That area looks like a nice mix of desert and forest.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Is your friend named Jake?( @Elwood )

Nice TR
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Your friend had a nice little escape there. Would the water be flowing even if it hadn't rained in the last couple of days?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tallsquirrel

Post by tallsquirrel »

JeffH wrote: Your friend had a nice little escape there. Would the water be flowing even if it hadn't rained in the last couple of days?
Horsethief Creek runs year-round. Anything else probably dries up sometime in the summer.