Station Ridge to Brown Mt dam

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

This is barely a trip report, but whatever. I went to the Station Ridge trail today (the trail from the fire station just above La Canada down to Paul Little). It was pretty overgrown, so I brought the loppers, and cleared back the brush. The whole thing is now passable. Once the trail leaves the ridge and switchbacks to the Arroyo it's really poison-oaky. Still is. It's a nice area. I walked up to the dam, and the waterfall is gushing

IMG_20200415_135358.jpg

No birthday baloons, but I packed out several empty gatorade bottles and 16 (!) butane cans.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nice pic. See any crazy transients?
robow8

Post by robow8 »

Do you ever walk behind the waterfall?
dima

Post by dima »

No transients. And I stayed on the dry side. Is there treasure on the back?
robow8

Post by robow8 »

No, Just some cooling refreshment. There's a nice ledge you can walk on, though it's a little mossy
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I was there two weeks ago for my workout hike during the week and wore shorts, didn't get to the bottom due to all the poison oak. Was planning to bring loppers next week and cut it down. Will probably bring them anyway and see if there is any additional brush up work.
dima

Post by dima »

robow8 wrote: No, Just some cooling refreshment. There's a nice ledge you can walk on, though it's a little mossy
Neat. I'll check that out next time. There was a LOT of water. I'd have to wade to get back there.
dima

Post by dima »

Awesome! I did the bulk of the brush cutting, although it could always be better. Didn't work on the poison oak. Not sure what the best strategy would be for that. Don't have a reaction yet...
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice Waterfall! Thanks for clearing the trail :)
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

dima wrote: Awesome! I did the bulk of the brush cutting, although it could always be better. Didn't work on the poison oak. Not sure what the best strategy would be for that. Don't have a reaction yet...
I went down this afternoon, there was a lot of PO to chop. It is all now passable with minimal caution required. I also did some other trimming. May go one more time for good measure to see if I missed any spots. Lots of water at the bottom. Some teens were down there screaming and yelling didn't see them but the noise was impressive.
sshiker

Post by sshiker »

Nice picture. I didn't know there was a trail from USFS Station to Arroyo Seco. What about the CCC trail from Hwy2 to Oakwilde?