Gizmo Peak

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Y'all ever heard of Gizmo Peak? Me neither. Until last weekend. The last time I was atop Mugu Peak I looked east at a high point that seemed higher than the 1266' that I was standing on. I'd seen this "peak" before, but never paid it much mind. Now I was curious. So Saturday, I climbed the Ray Miller Trail to the intersection with the Overlook Fire Road (part of the Backbone Trail), road-walked northwest to the high point, and then followed an obvious, but not well-trod use trail west to the summit. Atop, I found a summit cairn, a summit register, and a gizmo, presumably the one after which the summit was named. Good views into the La Jolla Valley north and the ocean south. And a nice bit of solitude which ain't always easy to find in the Santa Monicas. So keep your trap shut. This is a top secret, public trip report.

20200217_135028.jpg

Gizmo Peak from Mugu's South Ridge
20200216_161118.jpg

Start of the Use Trail
20200216_154147.jpg

Summit Cairn
20200216_154058.jpg

Summit Register
20200216_155225.jpg

The Gizmo
20200216_154114.jpg

La Jolla Valley
20200216_154125.jpg

Tri-Peaks
Sean

Post by Sean »

I wonder what the gizmo does. Perhaps it receives alien RF signals from planet X.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sean wrote: I wonder what the gizmo does. Perhaps it receives alien RF signals from planet X.
The register had an entry that suggested it was a memorial of sorts and asked that it not be disturbed.
dima

Post by dima »

Yeah, tell us more about this gizmo. This is important. How popular that area? I've been there-ish once, and it seemed just far enough out to not see a ton of visitation.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

The area by the peak itself is fairly popular, particularly with MTBers. The Overlook Fire Road (aka the Backbone Trail) goes right past this peak. Most hikers, however, don't go farther than the intersection of the Ray Miller Trail and the Overlook Fire Road (2.7 miles).

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.0960 ... 2&z=16&b=t

The gizmo was a rusted metal "thing" with a rock on top to hold it in place and a towell tied around its handle. Strange.
David R

Post by David R »

I've been there right after one of the fires, no sign in can. The area is very popular especially among mountain bikers. I used to go up Ray Miller then loop through La Jolla Valley, up Mugu and down main trail. Is that thing open yet, kinda ridiculous how other trails get love but one of the most popular trails in the Santa Monica's can't get the funds to get fixed.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

No, the La Jolla Canyon Trail is still closed. It's been like 5 years. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I might conclude that the California State Park system is just using a supposed lack of resources as an excuse to never open the trail again. But I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

That having been said, you can still make your loop David. After you hit Mugu Peak, just drop off the Mugu Peak Trail and follow Mugu's southeast ridge back to the entrance to La Jolla Canyon. There is a well established use trail along that ridge. A use trail, I might add, that the California State Park system doesn't want you using, but may not exist and/or may not be so heavily used, if the La Jolla Canyon Trail was just re-opened.
20200217_152456.Resized.jpg
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow this is so funny. I have been there but it was about 4 years ago. No register or cairn's at the time. Do you remember the date of the register. A group of us went up there but didnt know it was called Gizmo. That is really a cool little peak. I am going to look through my photos and see if I can find the same picture. Let's keep it a secret lol
dima

Post by dima »

No register or cairns, but was the gizmo there?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Girl Hiker wrote: Do you remember the date of the register.
I didn't pay that close attention, but it seems to me that the signatures went back a couple of years.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Perhaps the gizmo is an apparatus to dry off the sweaty clothes while relaxing on the summit.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
David R

Post by David R »

Uncle Rico wrote:
Girl Hiker wrote: Do you remember the date of the register.
I didn't pay that close attention, but it seems to me that the signatures went back a couple of years.
I went up this weekend the jar is from 2018 and thanks for the SE Mugu ridge route beta. I had seen that use trail on earlier trips prior to the La Jolla closure and was curious if it went all the way. I took that up and went over Mugu through the Valley where there is nobody now. The pond was completely dry and then up to the Giz.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Uncle Rico wrote: And a nice bit of solitude which ain't always easy to find in the Santa Monicas. So keep your trap shut. This is a top secret, public trip report.
I never read it then. Never been near the place. I dont even know what Im commenting on.
Nice post though?
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW~ wrote:
Uncle Rico wrote: And a nice bit of solitude which ain't always easy to find in the Santa Monicas. So keep your trap shut. This is a top secret, public trip report.
I never read it then. Never been near the place. I dont even know what Im commenting on.
Nice post though?
What are you talking about? Did someone post something?
Taco

Post by Taco »

I can’t read
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

This is kinda late, but Gizmo looks like a nice find. I'd like to visit the Malibu area again, but the drive is holy hell from the OC. Well, it would not be bad if I left early, but going back is always an ordeal. The gizmo looks like a modern art piece I don't get.
David R

Post by David R »

Went up yesterday, the gizmo is gone, assholes. Nobody in the whole La Jolla Valley when I hiked across it, felt kind of spooky.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, weird, since there's like two places left to hike in all of Los Angeles.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Just follow the spray paint and trash to Mugu Peak. You'll find everyone.