The North Face

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I ain’t got much to say, nor pics to post (way too much work), but Luis and I climbed the north face on Saturday. Started hiking about 5am, reached the base of the face at noon, summit at 6pm, and down around 9 something. A few years back, I climbed the north face of west baldy, and shortly thereafter Patrick and Sam climbed the NF of regular Baldy. Patrick climbed it a few weeks ago again, and we followed their route. It has a waterfall down low, which was melted out in the middle with deep moats, water ice on crappy rocks on the left, and very very steep snow right. We tried it a little, but felt it smart to backtrack. Tried other chutes on the east side of the gully, but they ended in shit. Went back down nearly the whole way, and hiked up the left side of the face to the north ridge just short of the summit.

I see Gus did almost the same thing the following day. Hi Gus. We haven’t met. You followed our tracks, from my understanding. Hope you didn’t get as scared as we did.

I don’t believe I have it in me to climb the very steep, loose, dangerous shit I used to in my 20’s. I am a different animal now, and I don’t like being hit with rocks. I still take risks, but I fully acknowledge that I am lucky to have survived my second decade. I have no intention of repeating that.

Goodnight, folks.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Hey, thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear you're staying safe--relatively speaking.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Is the North Face the North Backbone? Via Pine Mountain?
dima

Post by dima »

Taco, I'm sending this trip report back to the kitchen. At least tell us the route! I guess the North side of the mountain is melting right now? Has it really been that warm? How high were you? Haven't met Gus either, but based on the register, he's the undisputed king of ascents to Triplet Rocks. He just keeps coming back. Let's ride in Feb; you free?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I can’t edit pics on my device worth a damn, or I’d show a line. If you look at the north face of Baldy, we took the first major gully up to the waterfall. It is on the north face to the right of the north backbone.

The route I did on west Baldy is online on mountainproject as Commando Couloir.

I’m too safe now, Sean.

Dima, maybe. Always busy now. You should do day rides with
Luis and I.