New Year's hike: PCT from Swarthout Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I've been itching to get close to the snow in the San Gabriels. I've also been itching to hike the eastern portion of the PCT section D. So, on New Year's Day, my lady and I parked on Swarthout Canyon Road and hiked west on the PCT.

We encountered a couple patches of snow near where I parked (~3600 ft).

The snow increased gradually from that point, mainly in the shaded areas.

The snow got fairly deep at around 4100 ft: about 8-10". We decided to turn back at 2.2 miles in, as it was getting late and we didn't want to hike back in the snow in the dark.

It was a great outing and I really enjoyed seeing this area of the range. We didn't see anyone on the PCT, but we saw hundreds of cars on Lone Pine Canyon Rd and Swarthout Canyon Rd, presumably going to and from Wrightwood. It was amusing to see hoards of city slickers driving on Swarthout (dirt road).

Length: 4.3 mi
Gain: 745 ft
Recording: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... -413-pm--3

Note: I tried uploading the photos as inline images but I had issues. Can we migrate to another message board system already? ?
IMG_2575.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG
IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2616 2.JPG
IMG_2648.JPG
dima

Post by dima »

Neat! Where was everybody going on Swarthout? I've only ever used it to connect from the Mormon Rocks area to the Lytle Creek area (via Sheep Canyon rd).
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

dima wrote:Neat! Where was everybody going on Swarthout? I've only ever used it to connect from the Mormon Rocks area to the Lytle Creek area (via Sheep Canyon rd).
I suspect that they were going to and from Wrightwood to play in the snow. The 15 and 138 were jammed, so maybe Waze sent them to Wrightwood via Swarthout and Lone Pine Canyon.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

It was a great day to be out, warm enough to be comfortable even in the snow.
Waze or just following the herds looking for snow.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

The Swarthouts were some of the original Mormon pioneers of San Bernardino. Some of them lived in Lone Pine Canyon.

Image Here's Nathan

There's a great writeup on the whole clan you can read here ....

The History of the Swarthout Family
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

CrazyHermit wrote: The Swarthouts were some of the original Mormon pioneers of San Bernardino. Some of them lived in Lone Pine Canyon.

Image Here's Nathan

There's a great writeup on the whole clan you can read here ....

The History of the Swarthout Family
Interesting. I was wondering where that name came from.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Anthony wrote: Note: I tried uploading the photos as inline images but I had issues. Can we migrate to another message board system already? ?
What sort of issues?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote:
Anthony wrote: Note: I tried uploading the photos as inline images but I had issues. Can we migrate to another message board system already? ?
What sort of issues?
It doesn't display them inline on my desktop. It has them as a gallery instead with a link to see more photos. Or maybe that's a new feature?