Reporting pot farms

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
dima

Post by dima »

Does anybody know anything about reporting these? Will anybody do anything? Does it matter if the site is active or not? If it's useful to report them, who to?
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Okay. Thank you for starting this thread!

I have been curious to know if there have been any in the foothills above Pasadena? I have some suspicions like off of the idlehour trail about here: (34.2021010, -118.0812166)

Or about here in pine canyon: (34.2020944, -118.1152247)

Maybe we can make some public map to add our suspicions to!
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Dima, did you find more or are you just wondering?

I'm certainly curious about this too after I found one a while back. Like I said in the thread I emailed the Forest Service and they said they'd pass it along to the LE folks, but I have no way of knowing if anything ever came of it. I kind of doubt they would do anything unless you reported one as actually being active but who knows. I feel like it's hopefully useful to report them just so they have some idea what's going on, but there is no guarantee they actually keep track of this stuff given limited resources.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

dima

Post by dima »

Oh yeah, that trip. That's right.

I found another site yesterday, but the trip wasn't clearly worthy of a report. I went to find a plane, and found the grow instead. Guessing it was active until a few months ago (AW says the harvest happens in August, so that would be consistent). Lots of trash, rolling papers (quality control), hoses, fertilizer, pesticides, etc. The stalks are still there from the plants; I guess "harvest" means "pull off all the leaves and buds". The water system is still functional. And in one area is a number of small ziplock bags filled with dirt, sitting next to each other. What's that? Seedlings? Does this mean they're coming back?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I found one fairly close to Kelsey Mine. Fertilizer bags, PVC pipes coming out of the hillside, empty seedling containers and a mile long hidden trail and a lot of Mexican food trash. Looked like an old abandoned cartel farm. It was kind of unnerving looking for trip wires.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

So, now that California is full of legal pot stores, what is the point of a grow operation? Avoiding taxes?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

The legal pot is so expensive now illegal grows can sell it for half the price, tax free, using any pesticides they want. No store cost either.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

Following this as I have also found another recently active grow.

What if grow is up stream of a protected species? Would that kick off a clean up? Is there a way to find out if pot tax revenue has any "victim fund" to offset any perceived cost to society.
dima

Post by dima »

So I emailed the only ANF contact I could find on the website. If he responds, I'll update the thread
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

i volunteer with the ojai ranger district. i have found grows as well. my experience and knowledge indicates yes, the fs when made aware of these grows will take action. but not as fast as one might like. there are typically several agencies involved in removing the grow. the grow removal is usually kept quiet, and is an armed-response procedure.

i hate to tell people what to do but i have been told to keep as low a profile as possible in my reporting; my name is never mentioned. seems the cartels may not like snitches. maybe that's overly dramatic. why take a chance? be anonymous. something will eventually be done.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »